what the mainly software used to make 3d?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums TECHNOLOGY what the mainly software used to make 3d?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Cliff See
    Participant

what about Kerkythea? the free rendering program for Sketchup.. is it worth learning instead of 3Dmax ?

Frank Varro
    Participant

I’ve been using the Sketchup -> 3DS Max model James mentioned for years (I started playing around with 3DS Max in high school, and always found the modeling to be the weak point, so SketchUp was the perfect solution). I looked into Kerkythea a year or two ago, and while it looked good, I know there was something about it that didn’t jive with me looks wise. I’m actually looking at adding that to my list of software, so a smaller firm that wants an in house render that looks better than sketchup, but without the cost, can get the results they want from me. I’m hoping the reason I don’t like the look is just a matter of taste, and not a software issue, but I’ll let you know as soon as I know…

Cliff See
    Participant

thanks! i cannot afford 3Dmax anyhow right now, (on my own)…. so i will push to learn Kerkythea also. i may do a search of rendered landscape examples using Kerk to see the look.

Frank Varro
    Participant

I downloaded all the stuff last night, and think I remember the two problems I had with the program.
    First, they say their materials work the way actual materials work, which, unfortunately, is not how 3DS MAx/Maya etc materials work. At the time I was looking I didn’t have the time or energy to commit to relearning how to make materials.
    The second problem is that, if you look at the screenshots on the the site, there is a weird pixel noise that shows on almost all of the renders. I don’t know if this is a bad setting issue, or a hardware issue, but it annoys the hell out of me, Once I reinstall SketchUp (Just reinstalled windows a few days ago) I’m going to start playing around, and we’ll see if the same problem still exists.

Cliff See
    Participant

i was just viewing your drawings on your home page.. i like the Stadium renderings, especially colorful plan views. (#51,52,55 etc)… were they done in sketchup and 3D ? i cant really tell, but i like the edges of the colors.

Eric Gilbey
    Participant

I have been wanting to share this with you, and now that the press release is out, your wish for Cinema4D and Vectorworks Renderworks to work more as one is being granted. When Vectorworks 2011 is released on September 14th, Renderworks will be powered by the Cinema4D rendering engine.

James Sipes
    Participant

Very cool.

Frank Varro
    Participant

My thesis 3D models were all modeled in SketchUp (Except the seating bowl of the stadium, which was done in 3DS Max), and then rendered in 3DS Max.

The Plans are all either Cad or Hand Lines with photoshop rendered color fills. I changed how I do plan renders significantly while working on the project, so there isn’t a total consistent look tot he plan renderings

Jay McHenry
    Participant

I’ve only recently delved into Kerkythea and found that it produces a fairly convincing render. By adding materials in Sketchup, then rendering in Kerkythea, the result is ok. It takes quite a bit of time though, especially if you’ve got a lot of lights in your model. 

You can see some ‘quick’ renders at my blog, http://mitlandskab.blogspot.com/ (I say quick, because all I did was add and adjust lights, set a spherical sky in the setting, and hit render…)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register