Where are the war protesters?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Where are the war protesters? Is it just me? …anyone else wonder where thy’ve gone?

I love a good war protest….where are they?  Is war ok now?

I want the war  money to be spent on domestic LA projects instead of funding foreign wars…..

We all need the work!

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

Alan there was a sale on iPhones this weekend and they couldn’t be bothered, and the new Call of Duty game has changed the way kids perceive war.

I think people on the left whom protest war are complacent now that their guy is in office, which is ridiculous.  I think he is a bigger letdown than W, whom at least was honest about who he was.

Trace One
    Participant

Bush was honest about who he was? You ARE kidding, arent’ you? Torture implemented, CIA officers outed for political gain, a war started with the ‘facts fixed around the policy” (Downing Street Memo), – I mean come ON john..and not to speak of his personal hypocracy – so  he’s living at his “Ranch in Crawford” now, right? Oh, he bought that “ranch” about a year before he ran for pres, and now lives in a  toney, gated Dallas Suburb (the kind where the houses h ave embroidered pillows that say “Born to Shop”..) gee what a surprise for such a country boy!!

Not to speak of the travesty of the environmental regulations ignored by Bush, and the entire deregulation and gutting of all efforts against Wall Street, which now has stymied the ability to prosecute, because there is NO RECORD of investigation at all for the Bush years.. (see State Attorney Generals Vs. Bush admin, an effort by attorney generals to sue over the mortgage mess, about 2006, completely stymied by Bush and Co…)

good god, what do people read?

I am seriously discontent with Obama, but to call him worse than Bush, who drove our country into the ground, is a stretch.

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Yeah I guess, it does seem quite hypocritical to me that they only seem to be against war if it meets their political agenda…and the new guy starts a war w/out congressional approval, what? can’t be true…

I’m apolitical and against war no mater which Dood in in office….I frankly see no dif. in these guys…meet the new boss, same as the old boss, as Pete Townsend aply penned many years ago…..

I just wish the protest would go on regargless….to much to expect, I know…..I guess a conciense is required.

I still want the war money for rebuilding in this country……..

Trace One
    Participant

I agree, Obama’s war in Yemen that he is escalating totally beyond presidential authority to do so, should be absolutely a red signal for any citizen…It is our tax dollars..There are almost  no politicians willing to stand up aganst the war – Russ Feingold, Al Franken, Bernie Saunders, just a few..

I feel the best I can do is support others to represent me, so I give money to the ACLU and the NRDC – I read somewhere that lobbying is way more effective than marching..

but marching is good too..

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I stand by what, but that doesn’t mean that even found one thing that W did in office palatable, every time i heard that man speak i died a little bit inside.  I never said Obama was worse than Bush, I said he was a bigger letdown which is completely fair.  Candidate Obama was on a different planet than President Obama, and that is why he is a letdown.  I had no expectations of Bush, he was what he was– I hated it, but it was never a secret.  Obama, well, he presented an image and raised expectations and has disappointed me continually with his actual approach.  What has really changed?  Not a damm thing my friend.

Bush at least motivated me to work for positive change the country, President Obama has cemented a cynicism within me that has lead me to the conclusion that real change will never, ever, ever be accomplished by electoral politics, it only leads to catchy slogans.  I may never again vote for national/corporate candidates, instead I’ll just focus on local campaigns probably no higher than county wide.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I agree, 100%.

Two sides to the same f’d up coin.

Heather Smith
    Participant

I protested the war in Iraq years ago before it started and have protested here in Moscow on one occasion…I think it was one of the anniversaries. The level of anger geared towards us was amazing…we had our children with us and people were yelling expletives out the window and pulling in front of us as we crossed the street.

That said, I was thinking of this yesterday…wondering why we are so complacent. I can’t put my finger on it honestly. But it makes me sad.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

War? What war…? I would consider what’s going on right now “operations”. We haven’t seen war since Vietnam or WWII.
    Historically speaking, major wars are the only thing that get us out of the kind of “recession” we’re in… blow up the world and then sell them the goods/services to rebuild, oh, and take their resources and overthrow their government. So it goes… for some reason peace isn’t profitable…

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

give peace a chance, we may be surprised by all the excess cash we have to spend on real things…

mauiBob
    Participant

Henry, you got that right!! Vietnam war shortly ended after the draft was reinstated. When you start to force kids from wealthy families into war, that’s when our elected officials usually feel the heat. They had a segment on this topic during the show ‘Morning Joe’ recently. They read the most recent casualties in Afghanistan and all of the troops were from small towns which most of America never heard of. And nobody was over 22 yrs old. Watch the War protest escalate as soon as the Draft becomes mandatory. 

And lastly, America is the only country with military bases sprawled across the world!! Social Security, Medicare and Defense spending is bankrupting our nation. Congress just approved another $160 Billion dollars to spend for Iraq and Afghan alone. What happened to Pres Obama’s pledge to end the wars? How is Gitmo still running? This may be the first time I ever vote for a Republican candidate as long as its not Palin, Newt, Rick or Michele. I hope the GOP is smart enough to elect Pawlenty. The question was asked during the GOP 2012 Candidates debate and Rick Santorum answered: “We need majority of those bases open to protect our national security interest.” I could write another 5 pages of rebuttal to his answer, but I’m not wasting my time. We have bases in Hawaii, Japan, Okinawa, Singapore, Philippines, Guam and South Korea. Hawaii is more than enough in the Pacific-Asian region. 

Trace One
    Participant

social security and medicare are easily sustainable if the pols would stop protecting their own and raise taxes a quintillionth on over 250,000 incomes – it is ridiculous that Social Security is keyed to not increase in contributions past an income of 110,000 – ridiculous..

We need single payer health plan, only way to go, any ‘voucher’ system will work for the insurance agencies and bankrupt the rest of us..

Don’t know why a republican would not vote for Obama – he is basically behaving like a republican from the  nineties, in all his actions..Just one with brains, not just vacuous ideology based on rumour.

And rick Santorum – don’t you know about his Google problem? That is enough for me..Pawlenty is really boring..We need a hero – a real liberal..I don’t see any on the horizon..

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I am going to write in Josiah Bartlett in the next election.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register