Where to start?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jake
    Participant

Hello everyone, I’m interested in the field of Landscape Architecture, but I’ve had some difficulty trying to research it on the internet. Specifically, I’m wondering what would be the best approaches to the field for someone with no experience (such as myself). For reference, I’m an American currently living abroad, with a BA in Art and English.

Looking online, I’ve seen programs offered at the Associate, Bachelor, and Master level. Which one is best for me? Should I start low and try to get some work experience? Is an Associate’s degree or Certificate enough education to actually qualify for employment in the field? Should I go straight for the Master’s? Is it possible to get accepted to a program with no prior experience?

Also, I’m wondering which schools I should be looking at to receive the highest and most relevant education for the work that I hope to be doing. Are there certain benchmarks that I should be looking for in the curriculum? Where are some of the most respected programs in the US?

Thanks for the help.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

I would suggest getting a Master’s Degree if you have the time and money. I am currently getting a certificate from Berkeley Extension and have found it to be an excellent way to study and work full-time.

Here and here are other posts that you might find useful.

Ryland Fox
    Participant

Are you only trying to go in the US?

Jake
    Participant

Ok, I’ve been looking exclusively at Master’s programs now (ASLA accredited ones only), and it does seem like that might be the best option for me. Thanks for the tip. 🙂

I’m probably only looking in the US, yes. I’d be open to the possibility of Canadian schools, but I’ll have been gone a year and a half by the time I come back next spring, and I don’t think I’d be ready to turn right back around and head overseas again for three years. Plus that might be a deal-breaker for my girlfriend. 🙂

Is there a list somewhere of recommended schools? Right now I’m just going through the ASLA list and picking schools based on location.

I’d also be interested on tips for the portfolio. What types of things should I submit? What qualities are they looking for? Technical skill? Design sense? Originality? All three? Something else?

Thanks for the replies!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register