Which MLA school will be better?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Liz Hwangbo
    Participant

Hello there!

I’m starting a first professional in Landscape Architecture this fall 2011; 3-year MLA program! I’m so excited!

Now I need to make my decision ASAP!! So far I got accepted from:

– Louisiana State University

– U of Georgia

– Virginia Tech

– U of Florida

– U of Massachusetts

– Iowa State University

Among the list, I’m deeply considering between LSU and UGA(UofGeorgia). I know Virginia Tech has also good program and high ranking but I heard most LA classes are combined with Architecture.

What I want to specialize is Sustainable Design which weights more on environmental/ecological perspective. I like “designing” but when I learn LA, I feel like I should learn science/theory…

Therefore, I took out Vtech and narrowed to LSU and UGA since they are high ranking in Design Intelligence rankings. Especially LSU is almost #1 in every section. But I also like Georgia…

Anybody experienced MLA program from above schools? Any opinion on my decision making?

I will really appreciate your thoughts!!! =D

Thanks. 

P.S: I know the job hunting in LA is hard but I’m already prepared for that so thank you for your concern but no need to hear that. 😉

UPDATE: I just found out I also admitted from

– NCSU

– UF

Wow more to consider.

Nick Mitchell
    Participant

I personally don’t agree with DI. I have seen schools that were never ranked jump in the top ten then back to not being ranked in two years. I don’t see how that’s possible. That being said, you should pick a grad school based on the faculty. What are you interested in and what are their credentials and specialties. Faculty are required to do research. You should find some books or publications they have published and see if they relate to what you want.

Jason Granado
    Participant

I’m currently also in my first year of MLA program at Vtech, in Alexadnira VA ( the waac) http://www.waac.vt.edu/

I love the school up here its small and much more intimate. It serves as a consortium school so there are many students that come here from all over the country and study for a semester or a year.

yes we are mixed in with the archiecture students. which is great there’s constantly a colab of ideas and projects. your first year you will be only with other MLA first years they call it your foundation studio.

the school is also very open to new ideas and has amazing electives that they offer.

being close to DC is also a large benefit we always metro into the city for site visits. if you have any more questions drop me a line.

Liz Hwangbo
    Participant

Thanks Nick.

I agree with your opinion that don’t rely on the ranking so much. As your advice, I went through faculty’s specialties and some comparisons, however, most of schools have professors who is working on the field that I want to work on in the future. This fact did not help me to decide for final.

Urrrgh =( I should be happy for this situation but to make myself not to regret after my decision is hard.

Liz Hwangbo
    Participant

Thanks Jason.

I sent some more questions to you. Please check.

Jason Granado
    Participant

I think i wrote you a dissertation in response, lol but i do hope it helps out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register