Work-Life Balance

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nca
    Participant

Attention skiers, backpackers, fisherman, campers, kayakers, climbers, bikers, and hikers…

Which is the best city (in the world?) to live the dream? Taking into account salary/cost of living, scenery, great firms/projects, and people…

How did/do you (plan) to achieve the ultimate balance of work and play? Or, is there a distinction? What kind of hours do you keep? Come in at 6 and leave at 6, or more like 10 and 4? 🙂

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

In the world, I am not sure….In the US I would have to guess Portland. I am not sure of any other city that has embraced our field as much.

However, I would like to hear from some of the Landscape Architects in Spain…from the time i spent traveling in in Europe I can’t think of a better country than Spain when it comes to balancing work and life. Man I could go for more siestas in my life!

Ryland Fox
    Participant

I second Portland. Though Asheville, NC is good too. Design Workshop has a branch there.

nca
    Participant

I did the Design Workshop internship 07 charette in Asheville.

The DW Asheville office is nice. The town is pretty progressive for the south and the mountains are right there, but not much skiing and the peaks are tree-covered to the tops. The rivers and gorges are beautiful, though I think the weather ranges from warm to hot with little variation in seasons.

bret hanson
    Participant

Best place to live, work, and play is Southern California.
    live – diverse selection of cities in LA, Orange County, and San Diego. All with their own style, people, and attitude
    work – biggest and best LA firms in the country reside here. Its not what projects do they offer, its what projects do you want
    play – everything. 24/7/365 lifestyle. Every type of natural feature around. Did I mention most firms (at least in OC) have casual half-day fridays? We eat breakfast and go surfing.
    It may cost a pretty penny to live here, but wages are better than any where else too. I know people that are unemployed and are able to still manage. There are many other great places in the US, but I have been to many of them and SoCal is by far my fave.

Ryland Fox
    Participant

Nick Aceto said:

I did the Design Workshop internship 07 charette in Asheville.

The DW Asheville office is nice. The town is pretty progressive for the south and the mountains are right there, but not much skiing and the peaks are tree-covered to the tops. The rivers and gorges are beautiful, though I think the weather ranges from warm to hot with little variation in seasons.

I grew up in Boone about an hour and a half from Asheville. I love that part of the country. Boone has 4 ski slopes but they are pretty small. Once they started making snowboard parks we pretty much just stayed in them. Also a lot of freeriding in the winter in the backcountry.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register