Working in China

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Roland Beinert
    Participant

Anyone out there have experience working in China? What was it like?  

I’m back in college at the moment getting my masters in landscape architecture and a graduate certificate in bioregional planning. But just today I got an e-mail from a company in China, wondering if I was still looking for work. I wouldn’t abandon my studies for a job unless the entire job market improved (playing it safe for a while), so I told them I might be interested in an internship or employment after I graduate.

I did an internship in Beijing in 2007 for 3 months for what used to be the Oriental office of a large American firm. I really enjoyed working in China and actually still have some classmates that are working for the same company since they can’t find work in the USA. For my internship, they provided housing which was amazing and within walking distance to my job. That being said, my salary was the equivalent of around $2/hour and I was paid in cash once every 2 weeks. This salary was typical of those I worked with. China is exceptionally cheap, so I made plenty to have fun and go shopping and travel. But it wouldn’t be enough for me to pay off American student loans, etc.

My impression of Landscape Architecture over there is that it is still relatively new. They are learning from American and European projects and since there are no copyright laws, a lot of famous designs were literally copied and presented to clients. I can answer more questions that you have but my advice would be to stay in touch with them and find out details but complete your education. I am really happy I had the experience and can put it on my resume though.

shengyi yue
    Participant

It depends. If the firms are located in Shanghai or Beijing, it might be a great opportunity to do so. The economical ressession is not affecting china as much as United State. Besides, in large cities there is no language issue.My classmate will intern this summer in shanghai. He said that most of the stuff members in that firm are Australian and Americans. So find international branches.

But be careful if the firm is located in small cities. Frankly speaking, sometimes they are just looking for an “artist”. The context and the culture is so different and this gap is deeper in small cities.

So as a chinese student, i suggest you to go there and experience through internship before you decide.
    Hope what i said is helpful~

good luck

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Brittany and Shengyi Yue,
    Thanks for the advice. I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t regret not applying for the job. It’s been a year or two since any firm has been interested in me. But it sounds like staying in grad school is definitely the better choice for now.

Trace One
    Participant

roland, there was an extensive article on LA in China in the New York times a few weeks ago – LA in China is very hot, and they are doing an enourmous amount of construction..It did quote to Chinese LA’s as saying that foreigners would be hired at higher salaries but would be stuck there , and would not be able to advance, due to lack of local knowledge..The foreign hires had the same impressions. but for the short term , China is really hot,and really hiring, and you can bring all you environmental ideology with you – they need it! If I find article I am referring to, will try to post link..

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Thanks Trace. I’ll look for the article.

Trace One
    Participant

ps congratulations, always nce to be wanted!
    😉

Tosh K
    Participant

Spent a week at Turenscape about two years back. It was a lot fun being able to work on some cutting edge projects. The pay rate had been less than US, but considering the living expenses wasn’t so bad. The staff was great and the design talent was amazing. They were one of few local firms that incorporated traditional materials and concepts into a more contemporary setting.

Jofelia E. Tuburan
    Participant

hi roland! I was thinking of having my internship in China. can you suggest firms i could apply to? does your firm accept interns? thanks!

Jofelia E. Tuburan
    Participant

hi! can i ask for the name of that firm you’ve worked for? how do i contact them? i’ve been looking for firms in China i can apply to as an intern. i’m interested with that firm you were in.=)
    thanks! 

Roland Beinert
    Participant

I never actually worked for the firm. They just contacted me to find out if I wanted to work for them. I don’t remember the name of the firm, because it was more than a year ago. But if you want to find work over there, try looking at the ASLA joblink website. Sometimes there’s a few Chinese firms advertizing jobs there. I wish I could be more help. Good luck.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register