3-D Rendering Software / Techniques

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums TECHNOLOGY 3-D Rendering Software / Techniques

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Christian D. Macke
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I am working on developing the methodology for my firm’s perspective renderings. I was curious to see if there was any software / techniques out there that might be under-used or simply I hadn’t discovered.

It seems that the dominating programs are Sketch-up (accpompanied by Adobe suite) and Autodesk 3-D Studio Max (which is replacing Viz). Does anyone use anything else? Does anyone have any stronog opinions regarding either of these programs?? Any advice is appreciated.. thank you!

Jon Altschuld
    Participant

Christian,

Sketchup is a very good program because it is easy to learn and can be used to create 3D models quickly. However, the end results are usually somewhat unrealistic and sometimes almost cartoonish. Hence the use of Adobe suite with sketchup, but you still often get renderings that look a little mismatched (plants dont quite match the sketchup rendering, etc.). I use sketchup but combined with a render engine called Kerkythea-I create the model in sketchup and export the model into Kerkythea where I apply materials and lights to do the final render. I also add most of my plant material in Kerkythea, which brings me to my next point-one of the toughest parts of landscape rendering is acheiveing realistic plant material. You can get some pretty good shrubs and grasses in sketchup, but only a few look realistic.

The best program I have found for creating plant material is called Greenworks XFrog. Be warned however, this program is very advanced and very tough to learn. You can find free samples of some of their plants online or you can simply buy their premade plant libraries (this is probably your best option). You can then add these very realistic plant materials into Kerkythea.

Now, about some of the benefits of Kerkythea: the program is freeware so it won’t cost your company a thing, and it is a very powerful render engine once you learn to use it. Kerkythea is a ray tracing program which means it is very good at rendering light components and their actions. Also, the online forum on the Kerkythea website is incredibly helpful-I have taught myself Kerkythea, and whenever I had a question or problem the forum is the place to go.

Below are some examples of renderings I’ve done with Sketchup and Kerkythea:

Jon Altschuld
    Participant

Sorry the last file didnt upload-its a pdf so ill just attach it.

Ben Yahr
    Participant

I use Vue Infinite (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/solutions/?page=6) for rendering. Everything is built in 3d in Autocad and then exported to Vue to add materials and vegetation.

It is much more specialized than 3DS for the type of work that we do and significantly less costly. The downside is software stability and accurately locating 3d models in space.

Ben Yahr

Ryland Fox
    Participant

If you are going to use sketch up you have to get a render engine, as previously stated. Vray is the best, while not free like Kerkythea, it is faster, has more materials and the end product is superior.

But, if you want to do it efficiently just get Rhino and do your 2D and 3D in one software package. It is a better product than Autocad, cheaper and easy to use.

Also, at the risk of sounding pedantic, 3Ds Max Design is replacing Viz.

nca
    Participant

Rhino a better product than Adesk ??

I dont know. Personally, I use vray for Sketchup with linework usually done in cad, but alot of times I do very very little modeling and complete 75% of the drawing in photoshop and other media and keep the modeling and rendering to a minimum with only the highly textured or focus objects like walls and paths, etc..

-n

Christian D. Macke
    Participant

These are some great inputs.. i really appreciate the advice. So what I gather is that Sketchup is the typical ‘framework’ that most people use as a base from which to build complexity with a rendering program, whether it be Kerkythea (free), Vue Infinitie or Vray. Rhino and 3Ds Max Design are complete modelling and rendering programs then? Sorry if I’m confusing these a bit, but I just want to be sure that I’m understanding this correctly.

Jon Altschuld
    Participant

It sounds like youre getting the jist of it….I havent used Vue or Rhino at all so I cant speak for those. For Vray, I know it has become a very popular product, but whenever I try to use it on more complex models, it freezes up the whole computer-not sure if Im doing something wrong or not. It certainly isnt my computer, it should have more than enough power- 2.83 ghz. Quad core processor, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia 9800m gtx 1GB video card….anyways you get the idea-my computer should have no problem with rendering. For what its worth, I do know many people that use Vray happily.

-Jon

Ryland Fox
    Participant

Rhino, Sketch up , 3ds max, etc are modeling programs. VRay, Kerkythea, Mental Ray are rendering plug ins for modeling programs. Personally I find Mental Ray to be the best for 3ds/Maya. But VRay is made for a lot of programs.

As far as Rhino and Autocad. For me, yes, Rhino is much better. the 3d and 2d are integrated. There is a strong user community and the plugins for it – Grasshopper, Paracloud, etc are really good and getting better. Plus it is much cheaper, I believe, and it is a great platform for moving model types between different programs.

Aaron Coleman
    Participant

RFox,

I am a Sketchup user who is learning Rhino. Do you know plugin for Rhino that will allow “face me images” like in Sketchup?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register