Bad font decisions, yes I’m talking to you Papyrus users!

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Bad font decisions, yes I’m talking to you Papyrus users!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    ALEX P
    Participant

Henry:

Why is it rubbish?  

Anonymous
    Inactive

[smile] I never said you shouldn’t care about what font to use. I just think that if it communicates your design intent, it doesn’t mater if its Arial or Wing dings. And there are very few landscape architects and designers still around that would spec kudzu, Norway maples or that pretty purple plant that’s taking over riparian zones. $hitty design is what makes our profession look bad, not font styles.

Loosen up, have some fun!

Anonymous
    Inactive

In a way your right, but it’s about the detail and the small things that people will see, smell and touch in the finished landscape that you designed that demands your full attention. Don’t waste your time worrying about all your poly lines being closed or if a brick is perfectly rotated to align perfectly perpendicular with the edge of the sidewalk in your 20 scale drawing. If it doesn’t affect the way the project gets built its not important.

A professional presentation is just expected from us since our first studio projects in school. There are certain things that you learn in school about design graphics that don’t need discussion. I just think fonts are one of them.

Also, I’m interested in how you arrived at: “The lack of good design starts with the lack of a good font.” I missed it initially but Henry’s response made me take a second look. Funny…! That’s the spirit Alex. Keep up the fight Man.

mark foster
    Participant

I knew I used the font–I was talking about my hand lettering… easy there big fella.

ALEX P
    Participant

K. sorry.

ALEX P
    Participant

But i guess thats my point.  At least at my university, we were never “taught” graphics.  I guess it seems like you are suggesting that if we dont talk about it, it will go away?  I hope I am miss understanding you.  I really do believe that making a poor graphic decision will only hurt my design.  If i have some amazing design, that is LEED triple platinum, uber sustainable… yet i use curlz mt, I have a feeling that that may effect the way my presentation or how my project is perceived. My comment arrises from my belief that the entire package of the project, font included, is part of that project.  Good design transcends the boundary of the digital and built world, or at least thats what i think. Everything effects the visual content of that design, choosing the wrong font is similar to choosing the wrong plant.

ALEX P
    Participant

Isn’t all design graphic design?  I’m just thinking of the checklist of the projects that I had at university:  Plans (text on there), sections (text saying whats going on in the sections), perspectives (captions), and concept statements (all text). Everything is about graphic communication.  Yes, I start a project thinking about what font I’m going to use, because yes, I think it is important.  For example the office I work now, we have character styles for all the documents we create in InDesign.  Thus the font has already been thought of, even before the project has started. Why can’t I care about font the same why i care about landscape architecture?  Are you really that lax about font where you work?

Heather Smith
    Participant

I like this too. These are just tools to get ideas across. The words should be legible and should not distract from the message they are relaying…your design and how it will be used.

We visited a large firm in Seattle and one of the principles spoke with us about hand graphics. He said that not only can he not use ACAD very well…but he is terrible at hand graphics. He had this crazy piece of artwork made by a homeless woman that he had in the studio to remind himself and everyone else that it isn’t the tool you use…it is your ability to get your message across.

I think you make miss seeing the forest for the trees. We are shown various ways to share our ideas with clients…a good designer could take just about anything and communicate an idea with a client. We aren’t graphic designers, we are not designing campaign posters, etc. I highly doubt that a client is going to think, “Oh they used papyrus font…I hate them.” If we were to discuss anything I think we could discuss the poor writing skills that many designers have…writing is such an important way to share ideas and that can affect the way a client thinks of you.

Heather Smith
    Participant

No! To your question is this graphic design…unless you are designing space for Clue or Tron. haha. Oh man. I can just picture you…what we are going to design a park? Okay…let me see here…which font best says…. Really? I don’t want to be a graphic designer…I like to see beautiful spaces for people to interact with each other, nature and perhaps even art.

Heather Smith
    Participant

You never took a hand graphics class or photoshop? I find that hard to believe. Go UI! haha.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

choosing the wrong font is similar to choosing the wrong plant

Yes, like adding the wrong ingredient to a dish is similar to selecting the wrong chair for a living room.

That you feel so strongly about fonts, and have your deep set preferences is all fine. And if it enables you to submit your designs with added confidence and pride that’s helpful.

Will it get you a job or a project? Unlikely.

So the next question is whether it slows you down or distracts you from choosing the most suitable plant. In which case someone else will get the job or the project.

Depends on the context for the discussion, I suppose.

I find carefully designed presentations can be deceptive and distract from the content on occasion. I want to see clearly that the landscape is well thought out. I want to be able to read all that’s going on. Now many clients, on the other hand, want to get a sense of the project. Some of them will enjoy a thoughtful font choice. But most will prefer a thoughtful budget.

I am a bad/horrible writer, but i guess i can disguise it with a great font

Really?

ALEX P
    Participant

Okay i get the papyrus comment, but if your stuff is poorly laid out, peppered with a bad font, how is that going to help your clients get the “message” across.  your lax attitude towards graphics concerns me.  I am a bad/horrible writer, but i guess i can disguise it with a great font. dont writing and font go hand in hand?  i am not writing in lucinda handwriting now because it is illegible.  I think its great land8 uses a sans serif for this forum.  in conclusion, a forest is made of lots and lots of trees, maybe you need to stop looking at the forest and start looking at the trees.  LA is (to me) about the micro to macro scale of design.  Helvetica and black locust go hand in hand.

ALEX P
    Participant

you dont want to be a graphic designer.. how do you present your work, a roll of trace and some crayola markers? You like a aesthetic things, yet you dont like graphic design.. um hello.. something seems a bit off with that statement.  Your mocking attitude is a bit concerning.  I wish you good luck.

ALEX P
    Participant

Well its Iowa State, and No.  I dont use hand graphics, and 99.9% of  computer related knowledge is self/peer taught.

ALEX P
    Participant

Im not some over indulgent font dictator.  I spend no more time (see comment about the 7 seven extra seconds it takes to change a font) than someone who uses papyrus.  I only use 1 font, it is set on my character styles, so in reality it takes me less time.  Im not a plant wizard, so now since i don’t spend all my time picking out a zany font or gimmicky slogan/ugly powerpoint i can indudge in some quality time with michael dirr.  See its a win win situation.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register