Bad font decisions, yes I’m talking to you Papyrus users!

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Bad font decisions, yes I’m talking to you Papyrus users!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    ALEX P
    Participant

Whats with that hate for people who recently graduated?  When has being a debby downer ever paid off “graphics dont matter, they wont read anything on your drawings” Oh thats a real positive outlook for LA.  Yes I’m Naive, and who cares?

“No ones really all that special”  oh thats really positive, well i guess that is the only encouragement i needed.  I tend to do better when people discourage me, so in a way, thanks!

Heather Smith
    Participant

I got a horrible grade in a studio, because i cared about graphics, and not the GIS material.

I wouldn’t brag about that. haha.

ALEX P
    Participant

My job now is just that Tabitha, and I could not have asked for a better job.  I love it!  I will look into that book, as i feel it might be one of those biblicalesque books for font crazies like myself.  Yes, i want to be a landscape starchitect, and maybe this is my actual calling, landscape fontitecture… who knows??? I clearly understand that maybe i have a dramatic view towards this issue, but as like others, i am not backing down.  I refuse to use those fonts, and they refuse not to use them, or use a non default font at all.  Its fine.  I guess 96+ responses has gotten “us” no where.  I still care about place making, but i also care about good fonts.  Just because i am a font crazy in no way means that I dont care about any other of the other proverbs of landscape architecture.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like!

ALEX P
    Participant

haha.

Is everything a joke with you Heather?  I get that you dont care about graphic design, fonts, non default settings, design, in depth arguments, computers, adobe products, non hand rendering, aesthetics, turning off hyph-en-ation, et cetra.  

ALEX P
    Participant

adobe fonts come with the adobe creative suite. or go to dafont.com. and when you are done, just simply “create outlines” and save as pdf.. then you will not have any problems with people not having “your” font.

ALEX P
    Participant

haha?

ALEX P
    Participant

ahem.. helvetica was designed in 1957.. unless you meant a different war. Dafont.com is a free font website, and there are lots of great fonts that come on your computer (courier new, century gothic, century schoolbook, futura, garamond) you get my drift. All “free”.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh just stop being silly! Don’t turn this into something it’s not. We veterans were also 23 once upon a time. We know what it’s like to want to make your mark, go against the grain or even try to change the world. There’s no hate here because if there was I wouldn’t be trying to feed your head.

I don’t recall ever saying “graphics don’t matter”. I just don’t like to limit myself with rules when I don’t have to. I have a problem with speaking in absolutes. Never do this or you should always do that. If a designer has a good reason to break a rule and can sell that reason, I say break it. Graphics do matter; they’re just not the most important think to a landscape architect. A certain amount of time should be spent thinking about graphics at all levels of presentation. If I do a sketch and letter it by hand I want it to be neat, snappy and looking like an architectural drawing. But, I’m going to limit the time I’m going to “make love” to a drawing because most bosses and clients don’t want to pay for that. They dictate what’s really important.  

Nope, nobody’s special and I think that’s a good thing. I don’t see how you see that as discouraging, but if you want to spin my words into something that motivates you, that’s cool.  

Nick Mitchell
    Participant

If you want the full font family for a specific font you need to buy a separate package. For example the office I work for uses Franklin Gothic. Franklin Gothic consists of 20 separate fonts; condensed, bold, demi, medium, book, etc… Your right, Adobe does include a large amount of fonts, but you need to buy the package for the whole family. Now I sound like a salesman…

I do use “create outlines” too, but when using Word and Powerpoint you do run into issues.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

…. and yet no one cares about grammar or spelling? 

I’m no expert in either, but I’d rather have your content correct in Papyrus than to have some of the spelling and grammar errors in this thread show up in the greatest textscape the world has to offer.

ALEX P
    Participant

Textscape architecture, great idea!

ALEX P
    Participant

Craig, your right.  You brought something up that is worth merit, that i did not think about. “they’re just not the most important think to a landscape architect.”  I respect that argument. to me its saying that its not that “we” dont care, there are just other priorities, but font can still be one of them, at least to me and other font crazies.  Sorry if i got a bit defensive.  Fonts my baby.  I guess its welcome to the real world for me now. Thanks for easing me in. Im all for breaking the rules, but i can tell that maybe im a bit to aggressive in being a font crazy guy. 

ALEX P
    Participant

i started watching this movie, saw the papyrus subtitles and turned the movie off

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but I just came across this website… http://fontsinuse.com/… could be a point of inspiration for those diehard Papyrus users. 

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register