Environmental Design and Art … ??? …

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Environmental Design and Art … ??? …

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brian D. Murphy
    Participant

Educated as an Urban Planner at Cal Poly Pomona, Practiced Urban Planning in the private sector. Departed this effort to pursue my own personal artwork (painting and sculpting), had to eat, having a baby, began working in commercial art studios (interiors of several Fry’s Electronics in CA. This led me to the world of artificial rockwork. For the past 13 years have been working as a field Art Director for very small to very large jobs. I have had the chance to travel overseas and spent one year in the Philippines , worked for Disney’s California Adventure Park, and as of late have done several Zoo rock jobs for PJA of Seattle WA. I have a lot of interaction with both Landscape Architects and Architects. My design education and experience along with my aesthetic eye has been fun and continues to serve me well. As I am writing this I am realizing that there is a piece of me that really loves and misses the design process. Anyway, so now I started really missing my own art work and have begun painting and sculpting again while still working in Art Direction. I am also planning a trip to India for both personal, creative and professional purposes. So all of this to say: HEY, anybody else out there pleasantly wandering through their moment that feels like sharing?

Chad Crutcher
    Participant

Brian,
    Surprised to see you lament “…misses the design process…” Wake up my man! Do you not believe you were applying the same process to whatever endeavor you undertook? Building custom environments, be it fake rock or silk plants…its still a design problem…how to build it, how to make budget, how to correct the subcontracotor’s goof-up…all problem solving…all design. I rest my case. I hope your travels spark whatever fire it is you seek.

Chad
    Do well doing good.

Brian D. Murphy
    Participant

Chad , I am pretty much a “non -tech-computer person” so getting a response was pretty exciting for me. In reference to your observation, I have to agree, I think it’s more of interacting with others that are doing the same thing as me, as well as “putting on the thinking hat” and getting away from a bunch of the “lets just build this thing” guys in the field as well as expanding and challenging my own skill set. Just curious what specifically you do in the field and for who? and yes , I seek fire and I will find it.

Thanks again, Brian

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register