Fall 2011 applicant

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Paul Best
    Participant

One thing to consider about UC-Denver is that after one year of school you can establish residency and then pay in-state rates for the rest of your time at school.

I am attending UC-Denver for my MLA I in Fall 2011, so if that’s your choice ultimately let me know, because it’s a new city for me too!

Cody Thurman
    Participant

If you don’t mind me asking, did you already get accepted or is this the school that you have your heart set on?
    If you were already accepted, did they allow you to defer a year. I’m really wanting to defer for one year so I can get in state tuition after establishing residency.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Be VERY careful what program you get into. I started my MLA this fall and I am regretting it. I have a BLA already, and am finding that the MLA program I am in is pretty much a repeat of the BLA. Being that you have experience already in planting and design, you should look for a program that can give you some sort of advanced standing. It would likely reduce your time spent from two years to three. Mind you, you cannot take a posr-professional program, but they may make you an advanced standing student. I’ve done a ludicrous amount of research into graduate programs recently and was very surprised what I saw.

Be sure you expore EVERY aspect of the program. What you want to learn, go with a thesis in mind. Make sure that there is a personal program advisor that will accomodate your previous education and sit with you and DESIGN a program, the whole two years or so, BEFORE you register, or even accept! Make sure you can get classes, I know I can’t, and thats one of the problems with the program I am currently in. You have to be incredibly detailed and know what you want to get out of the program, and what you can put in with it.

Cody Thurman
    Participant

Thanks for the advice James. I’m visiting LSU on friday and I asked to have an interview incase I still have questions for them after the open house.  but I doubt I’ll be able to get any advanced standing. They won’t even offer it to me at UT and our program was meant to be a prep for LA school. So I’ve come to the realization that it’s going to take 3 years.  I’m wanting to get a deferral of one year so I can get in state tuition, find a place to live, and get more experience in the field. I’m curious if anyone has heard anything about UC Denver. I am really interested in their Dual degree with architecture but I haven’t found anyone who has graduated from their program. Hopefully I have a productive time at lsu and I’ll update when I get back from the visit.

David Farber
    Participant

Oh I am biased as I went to LSU. As for your cons to LSU. The humidity…….its hot and stickly, its Louisiana. For 6 months you will sweat as you walk from the car to the studio. As for partying, you will be in the studio more than anything. As for not knowing anyone….I moved from Jersey to LSU and while it was hard to initially get over the culture shock I feel I made an excellent choice. The only real negative I can see is the fact that the school is located in one of the worst states of the country. The program acts like a bubble in a way, attracting smart students from all across the country and world at a much higher rate than the rest of the university.

Teachers are amazing, program is great, facility is very good. While the actual state isnt the best it is nice to have Texas next door which is home to quite a large number of big cities. (I ended up in Texas). If you have any questions go ahead and email me.

dfarbe1@tigers.lsu.edu

David Farber
    Participant

Im actually going to be in Baton Rouge this weekend for when LSU dominates Alabama and to interview some people. We can talk if you like.

Cody Thurman
    Participant

Sorry I didn’t check this until after I left. I enjoyed my trip down this past weekend and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. The program is top notch and is really ahead of the game. The one complaint I have is that Baton Rouge is not an attractive city to me. The campus is beautiful but I can see myself getting bored easily. I plan on checking out a couple more schools in both the Landscape Architecture and Architecture fields. It was a cold weekend but they assured me that this was not the norm which is fine by me. If I were to get an assistantship, it would be hard to turn down the offer.

Tosh K
    Participant

I’ve known a few UGA alumni and a couple of current students. They have a great program and with the Beltline going in in Atlanta have a frontline look at that process. Also ran across a few LSU alumni as well, they were also very talented and well versed. Being on the east coast, I haven’t met people from UCDenver or USC.

Aren’t schools giving in-state for research or teaching assistantships? I remember a lot of schools doing that a few years back (MN was one). Many states universities will offer in-state after your first year as well (As in CO). Barring that, deferment to gain in-state is usually allowed and encouraged (if it helps draw good students without upping financial aid, a program usually would support it), though some states don’t automatically give you in-state after acceptance (as the intent of the student moving is to study, VA is one and I think CA and MI are strict on that as well).

Having done a dual degree, be careful as to why you want to study both. Having made the decision to go into LArch after the 4th year, the courses on HVAC and building codes were tough to get through. The differences in how design was taught made it worth it, but the extra 2 yrs of loans are a lot (though now with Income Based Repayment, not as harsh as I was afraid). That being said, it makes working with architects much easier, and therefore makes you more marketable.

Good luck and just remember: 1 it’s the best fit for you that you’re looking for, and 2 in graduate school it’s about taking risks and initiative in your own education

Cody Thurman
    Participant

I have crossed UGA off of my list. After visiting Athens, I just don’t think I would want to live there from three years. At the LSU open house I found out that they normally do not allow deferment. If I am accepted and choose to go there but not granted in-state tuition. I will most likely take a year off and work. I will keep my current job and try to also get a job related to landscape design or construction. I’ve also thought about trying to freelance some, in this economy who knows. I could use more experience though and I wouldn’t mind a year off. At first I didn’t think I wanted to take a year off but my mind is saying “Give me a break please.”

Oh and Tosh, a graduate assistantship would mean I go to college for free and get a monthly stipend. Pretty hard to say no to something like that. I’d say my main reason for wanting a dual degree or even just an architecture degree is the fact that in many states (not sure how many) architects can practice LA. But LA’s cannot practice architecture. Also, I have also decided that It would help having that degree while working in a multi-discipline firm.

Risk is what I live for. At times I’ve not always made wise decisions but I’m still alive and kicking. I appreciate comments from anyone with experience in what I’m about to undertake.

Paul Best
    Participant

Hey, sorry it took me over a month to respond..

Yes I did get admitted for 2010 and they allowed me to defer for 1 year.  I had the same plan as you, but got cold feet about moving to a new city without any money or a job.  I am planning on saving up money while living with my parents back in Michigan until the move. 

Hope that helps. Message me if you have any questions about their application process or whatever.   They didnt require GRE which was nice. 

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register