Gravel + stabilizer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Liz Pulver
    Participant

Hi there,

Has anyone had good success with a stabilizer/ binder that can be used with gravel fines? We are looking for something to create a smoother, more solid surface for a public space. “Stabilizer Solutions” seems to offer some good products. Success over time?

Any insight you have, I appreciate in advance! Thanks. Liz

Theodore Tegen
    Participant

I don’t have personal experience with this product, but it seems very promising.

http://www.gravelpave2.com/gravelpave2.html

Liz Pulver
    Participant

Thank you, very interesting. I was thinking of something like this as well, and wondering how it holds up. I’ve seen the pentagon memorial, and it seems to be holding!

Tanya Olson
    Participant

The main problem has been in getting it installed correctly. It is messy and somewhat challenging for contractors to install as well, so might have some hidden costs (this is the mixed kind). Some of the companies require inspection during installation to warranty the product, which can be difficult if there are no certified inspectors in your area. I have seen it resist erosion on 12% slopes (at a large residential estate) with decomposed granite fines EXCEPT at the edges which can be messy/crumbly like asphalt if its not contained properly, and in this case it wasn’t.
    That said, I love it as a surface. It has a satisfying crunch and nice atmosphere.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I saw that they had used it by Old North Bridge in Concord, MA. at least 5 years ago. I would guess that some Land8Loungers have visited that historic site in recent years.Maybe they could comment. I saw it between the Old Manse and the main approach to the bridge along the current road edge, It was granite stone dust and seemed quite new at the time.

Ray Freeman
    Participant

I’ve seen it used with mixed success. Where you have very flat slopes and little surface runoff, it seems to be fine. If you get any concentrated flow on it, even at 3-5% slopes it can erode badly. (I’m talking about generic stabilized DG, like 1/4″- with Road Oyl or Stabilizer or any of those products used as a binder.)

If it’s poorly mixed or not installed properly, It can crack badly, then you get erosion in the crack. The other potential issue is that if you use a stabilizer, it makes the surface like concrete with a scuffable chip surface. This is OK, except for tracking into buildings on damp shoes. Same problem with any DG. However, if some stabilized DG starts eroding, it’s very difficult to repair, unlike unstabilized DG, where you can scarify it and roll some more material into the wound.

Liz Pulver
    Participant

thanks for your insight!

Liz Pulver
    Participant

thanks and…

Liz Pulver
    Participant

thanks! really appreciate all your thoughts and comments.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register