Macbook or PC for work?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kravimsky
    Participant

​Hi,

I am wondering if you can do rendering on a Macbook laptop.

I am about to start a master in LA and I need to chance my old macbook notebook and I’m not sure if I should by a newer version or invest in a PC.

A laptop is more versatile, can help me do work on the go, but is it good enough for using software such as AutoCAD, SektchUp, Rhino….?

What are you using?

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, this forum must be getting slow if your post goes unanswered for nearly 2 months!

Don’t be tricked into thinking technology is important when you are in school. Focus on the design process, not CAD or BIM. Throwing ideas down by hand is faster and more intuitive anyhow.

That being said, I’m now using a 2016 MacBook Pro with Vectorworks after 20 years of PC/AutoCAD/Accurender/Rhino/Sketchup. I use an IPad with procreate for sketching, I finally got to the point where it’s as intuitive as paper and pen after a year. I wouldn’t waste time with AutoCAD, the future is in BIM for production. This is where Vectorworks shines. It replaces Sketchup, Rhino, AutoCAD, and Revit in terms of modeling and production drawings. It is a rudimentary GIS system as well. I’m finding that is a suitable replacement for InDesign for simple books and design reports. I have switched from Photoshop and Illustrator to Affinity Photo and Designer on the IPAD. It’s so much faster editing photos on the IPad with the Apple Pencil compared to mouse/workstation. Connecting the IPad to the MacBook Pro allows for dual monitors and/or pencil input for programs running on the Mac, this is killer. I can sketch in vectorworks via this method, which is really fast. Rendering wise, Vectorworks has a built in system that does fine on my MacBook Pro. Also, Twinmotion works well on it. Ultimately, your computer needs to enhance your workflow, not cripple it. If you are unfamiliar with the programs you intend on using, you will burn a lot of time learning on how to be productive with them. It takes years of practice with CAD/BIM before you can match the outcomes of hand drawing. I have found that switching to the workflow I mentioned is saving money on software costs and reducing the time required to produce superior results. Plus, my office fits in my messenger bag 🙂
    Hope it helps,
    Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register