Random Thought about obtaining other licenses

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Random Thought about obtaining other licenses

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #153527

    I was wandering if it is possible for someone to not only obtain a Landscape architectural license, but also a civil engineering license.  The reason I ask is because i know there are ways around the let say “qualifications” to take the LARE exam. So if one does obtain a landscape architecture license and works in the field for x amount of years. Is it possible to qualify to take the equivalent Civil engineering exam and obtain licensure that way? 

    Jason T. Radice

    Depends on the state. But it can take you a very long time and you generally have to prove that you have the requisite experience hours to sit for the exam. It would be faster to go get an engineering degree.

    Andrew Garulay, RLA

    In my state, Massachusetts, it is possible with 20 years of experience in engineering (10 yrs responsible charge), that type of work has to be at a certain level to demonstrate competency, and an evaluation of your education, passing an interview, and then passing the exam.


    That can be summed up by “not really” – possible but unlikely.


    Land Surveyor is similar, but only 12/5 on the work experience.


    I am relieved to know that I can continue to drive over and under bridges after checking this out. I have 12 years experience under both CE’s and PLS’s and know enough about each to know that I would need a degree in one of those respective fields in order to come close to passing one or the other exam.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password