reference for water depths in different water features?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums DETAILS & MATERIALS reference for water depths in different water features?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kerri A
    Participant

Hey – I need advice for a reference on general appropriate/code water depths for different water features, i.e. water skin on a plinth to shallow pool to fountain pool to low-flow creeks, you name the water feature, I want to know how deep the water can be. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks much !!!

Ray Freeman
    Participant

Aurands “Fountains and Pools” is a basic reference.

Your state building code is critical. Over a certain water depth (in California it’s 17.9 inches) a fountain becomes a swimming pool with a whole different level of requirements (like fencing).

A water wall water thickness depends on the roughness of the surface and the effect/sound level you want. No hard and fast rules there. For weir flow, I advise 3/8 inch minimum.

For low flow creeks…that’s a question for your local fishery biologist.

Kerri A
    Participant

For the low-flow creek though I should have clarified I was thinking of a situation in which an urban creek diverted underground is daylighted. I’ll check out the book. Seems to be a fuzzy line between what becomes a “pool” and what is a “natural” water feature that can be much deeper (such as a daylighted creek – is that “natural” or is that a designed water feature now?) Thanks much for your info!

Ray Freeman
    Participant

Creeks aren’t swimming pools or fountains. The water depth is what it is. There’s no “code” per se.

Trace One
    Participant

the University of Virginia just completed a big project daylighting a creek – very big deal- through the university..Check it out – very successful – they have a very good LA on staff..(last I checked!)

Kerri A
    Participant

Thanks – will check it out!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register