To the Office of my Public Official: CLARB

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE To the Office of my Public Official: CLARB

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

“As if we are a bunch of idiots that don’t know how to keep our own records… Or, it’s not like that information is all available on tax returns.”

And you actually think that it’s as simple as that. The problem is proving to a state Licensing Board that your information is legitimate. If you think CLARB is bad, try dealing with a state governmental entity that’s in no hurry to get you registered (think DMV). These agencies are looking at you with a certain amount of suspicion and they have absolutely no motivation to get you registered. It boils down to this… being CLARB certified just makes their job easier, because CLARB has done the leg work for them.

You might enjoy fighting faceless institutions, but I would rather spend my time clocking billable hours and having fun. As I stated earlier choose your battles wisely. 

temp impact
    Participant

It’s either the individual or CLARB who provides information to each State. The state will take their time regardless of who provides the information. If your comfortable with CLARB, enjoy paying them for this service.
    I choose not to trust CLARB.

temp impact
    Participant

Some people might need that service. But if you are someone who works in and out of the country, and not in various states, its useless and should not be required.
    And yes. It’s that easy. Work records are available at the IRS or your accountant’s office. I have delt with the state. Thank you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Once you’re a hot shot LA and racking in the big bucks, you probably won’t even remember all of the heart burn that CLARB has caused you. If in 10 years you still have an ax to grind with CLARB and ASLA, you can complain from the west coast all the way to the east and it will fall on deaf ears because all the pros will be concentrating on how to land the type of projects they want to work on and how to make more money. Most of them will have absolutely no interest is helping you reform CLARB. It’s sad, but true. Correction: There will always be a group of young unregistered warriors who will gladly let you lead the gripe session. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seriously if you think it would take the same amount of time for the state to verify multiple sources of information from companies, the IRS, professional references and CEU providers etc. for a non-certified LA versus the one stop shopping of a CLARB certified individual, you have a lot to learn my friend.

Well…for a guy who hasn’t even passed the friggin’ exam yet, it seems to me like you’ve got this all figured out. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

“But if you are someone who works in and out of the country, and not in various states, its useless and should not be required.”

Well duh! The best news for you is, IT’S NOT REQUIRED. 

temp impact
    Participant

Geezz. Hostel are we? 🙂 If you want to take it there we can, but I’m not that type.

I don’t appreciate the attacks. So take your negative energy to another discussion.

Anyway, in response. This information (for me at least) is all accumulated over time. I understand that CLARB can collect this information. What I am saying is that I don’t believe blindly trusting CLARB with this information is the best thing. They could develop a system that focuses more on the individual… but they don’t. Because they like your money too much. 

temp impact
    Participant

All right, I see the problem now. You don’t understand what your talking about. I forgive you. Actually, to correct your mistake, the Council Record is required for you to complete your license. I can send you the link and the emails that I (now) am receiving from CLARB telling me that it’s required if you like. Maybe its not required for Landscape Architects who are already licensed. But those of us in the LARE process are required.

Maybe you don’t intend to be insulting. In that case, please learn to write in a less inflammatory way, and get your facts right before you talk.

So watch your mouth.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob I just wish when I was younger someone would have sold me on getting my CLARB certs. After I passed the LARE and got registered in Ohio, I foolishly thought screw CLARB; I’m never going to give them another penny of my money. Then the Cleveland boom era went bust. It was the biggest pain in the butt to get certified after being in the game for 12 plus years of working in different states. I spent hours on the phone trying to track down old bosses and colleagues for references. It really sucks when someone would say that they would send the reference forms in and didn’t. In some cases I understand some people not wanting to fill out the forms because some states ask personal information like the social security numbers. The worst is calling the old bosses whose heart you broke when you left them or the ones that treated you like poo when you worked for them.

I’ve never been a big fan of CLARB, but sometimes you have to pay to play. I just hate to see young professionals being myopic and thinking that they’ve got their career path all laid out for them. In our profession it’s not easy to stay in one place and draw the kind of salary you want or to work on the different kinds of interesting projects you need to grow as a professional while staying in one place.

As an entrepreneur I’m sure you understand that being able to cross the state border to snatch projects can put good money in your pockets. When I first went into business I was sick because I had to turn down big projects in New Jersey because I didn’t want to take their supplemental exam. Where I’m located on the east coast I can pass through 6 different states in approximately 6 hours by car (New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia). I’d never want to spread myself too thin, but I just don’t want to turn away primo jobs because I’m not registered or couldn’t quickly get registered in another state.

The developer you mentioned is a perfect example of how a $175 CLARB cert can give you the potential to grow your business exponentially. That developer isn’t going to lose money holding up projects while you go through the slow method to acquire registration in various states. He’s going to go with the LA who is already registered in multiple states or has the ability to get registered quickly.

I can understand if you have an established business or if you know for sure that you’ll only work in one state forever, forget about CLARB. But if you’re newly registered (or haven’t even passed the LARE yet) you’d be wise not to put all of your eggs in one basket (or state).  In most cases when a job makes an offer to an out of state LA, they give you 6 months to get registered. Why risk your job going through the slow registration process that could take up to a year or more? Not for $175 per year, Sheesh!

Thanks for the excellent example Bob.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So let me get this right you make a reference to my “Momma” but I’m the hostile one. First you want to fight CLARB and now you want to fight me.

You’re funny.

temp impact
    Participant

You are obviously a person who doesn’t keep good records… by your own admission in your writing above. Maybe that’s why you feel you need CLARBs services.

Let me explain how it works. Candidates are required to have a Council Record. When you are finished, yes (you are correct), they may opt-out. But for now I must have (and pay) for one.

If CLARB and the State Boards across the country wanted to make it easy on individuals who want to remain individual they could. Especially for organized individuals such as myself. The only reason they make it difficult is because is because they hope that people like you will roll over and just pay a fee.

Sorry. I guess I’m not as wealthy as you… but I prefer to use my hard earned money by reinvesting it back into my company.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Who’s talking about LARE candidates? I’m talking about non-CLARB certified RLAs vs. CLARB certified RLAs tough guy. Save your energy for your fight with the CLARB and the rest of the world; you’re barking up the wrong tree. 

temp impact
    Participant

As you can see. I edited my comment prior to you responding… because I knew you would take it the wrong way. Sorry. I though it might lighten up your mood, but then again… I realized you don’t completely know what your talking about, so I better be careful on how I approach this hostility.

You talk about fighting CLARB. I never mentioned fighting CLARB. I am saddened by this situation, not angry. I don’t see it as fighting anyone, but rather, working with CLARB on fixing some of their inconsistencies and miscommunications.

But you would view it as fighting… Next time you assume things check your facts, because you are wrong about the Council Record, and don’t accuse others as being as hostel as you are.

Again. Please take your conversation somewhere else before you accuse me of something else that’s untrue. And I would appreciate no replay. Facts are welcome, opinions about how you feel about the LARE, CLARB are welcome. But not false accusation or speculation. Stop hijacking this coordinated discussion.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Meh.

temp impact
    Participant

Seriously. You made this comment. You have no meaningful reply, or nothing else to say? How about “I’m sorry for accusing you of wanting to “Fight”. Or yes I was wrong, I didn’t understand the situation that CLARB forces candidates to pay for a record… Come on man… Please don’t leave pointless dialect or comments on our discussion, please…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register