To the Office of my Public Official: CLARB

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE To the Office of my Public Official: CLARB

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    MLCC
    Participant

Thank-you Henry – your words help; that does makes me feel better. And wish me luck!

🙂

MLCC
    Participant

LOL – Will do!

feeling more and more confident with everyone’s support !

temp impact
    Participant

MLCC

1) CLARB’s short notice was intentional. The main purpose is so that the fewest amoun of candidates possible are given a fair shot. Reason: CLARB’s statistics show that it takes the average candidate 3 attempts to pass the last 3 exams. By offering a “1 year transition” most candidates don’t have time to take the last 3 exams 3 times since you can only take each section only twice in one year. …and what happens if you can’t take one of those two… well then your considered to be ineligible. According to most judges, if you don’t make all attempts to complete (even if you are unable to, unless its for health reasons) you don’t deserve another chance.

These decisions fall under courts administrative law. This is why its impossible to sue CLARB. You can not take this to small claims court because it will b thrown out and sent to administrative court. you will then find that you have to front about $20 grand for a lawyer to represent you in such a case. Needless to say, CLARB knows what they are doing, and is very good a screwing people over and covering their ass.

2) The fact that the only difference between the new exams is where Section D information is found is a complete joke. How can you argue against t such stupidity. It’s so transparent that CLARB is ripping off candidates, they are white collar criminals. But they actually write the law, and have the money to pay for the representatives to protect their cause.

CLARB dodged all of my questions and request’s the same way you described. In fact, they have done so to all of their candidates who lost credit.

I agree about the statement you said about CLARB never stating that I (or candidates in general) could lose credit. This is an administrative flaw of which CLARB will never admit fault. This is a major problem. But make no mistake, it is intentionally left out of the candidate handbook so that candidates are unaware. Just as a “countdown to transition” could be added to CLARB’s website. But candidates will never see that either because the “transition” is a cash cow for CLARB.

temp impact
    Participant

I am searching for any and all candidates who lost any LARE exam credit during CLARB’s transition. We could get a class action lawsuit started if we can get enough people.  

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

I feel bad for anyone who lost credit due to CLARBs test format revisions. I know many people spend lots of time and money in order to further their careers, and it can seem very unfair when a seemingly faceless organization proclaims that your previously passed tests do not count. That stinks. I hear you.

I also think you all are talking about fighting a battle you simply cannot win. This isn’t the first time the LARE has been changed, and the same thing happened to architect candidates when their test was computerized several years ago. This thread isn’t the first here on Land8 filled with loud voices shouting about fairness and mistreatment and promising legal recourse. 

I was in the middle of taking the exams when the transition was announced. I knew about it, and knew I could potentially lose credit. I studied, took my remaining tests, and passed them. I realize not everyone had that experience, but to argue that CLARB didn’t tell you or give you enough chances to pass isn’t very convincing in light of my experience or all the candidates who passed the exams before the transition, and those who have successfully passed since then.

I don’t want to sound harsh, but I can’t help but think that your energies would be better spent studying for the tests you still need to take and pass them. I know others have said the same thing, and I think those individuals are giving good advice.

temp impact
    Participant

your right. that is the best conventional, at this point one could argue traditional, way to get past what happened. pass the exam and start practice.

the right thing would be for CLARB to hear the complaints of all of their candidates and provide the credit. but we all know by now (from past experiences) that CLARB is not a stand-up, exemplary, organization, so that wont happen. CLARB will continue to mislead, discredit and lie to their candidates in the future. they have proven themselves time and again that this is their MO. so until the professional community as a whole decides to do something about this, which they never will, this will be a reoccurring theme that plagues the profession.

the system is wrong, does anyone care to put a stop to them?

i have learned thru this experience that CLARB has done the same thing in the past. that this is reoccurring. and everyone who I have spoken with about CLARB’s past talked to me as if they were a dog who had been beaten down too many times. I had a dream that I could help CLARB understand what happened. then i realized they didn’t care about me or any other candidate, so my dream was to help make a difference in the way this piece of ____ organization did business, but I guess it’s impossible.

regardless, there are some people (like me) who travel internationally frequently. it is true that CLARB never contacted me. I have that in writing from CLARB. I also have in writing from CLARB that they could care less about my situation. I have them on paper calling me a liar, when everything I had said was true. I submitted documents to CLARB, they were documents from CLARB stating that they admit they never contacted me and that they have proof and they apologize. then Mr. Penrod writes me a letter stating that I am lying about the documentation that I received from CLARB. that is how ridiculous CLARB has made this situation.

they are bastards. Mr. Penrod from CLARB is actually lying to my state board now about conversations that I had with him over the phone when I tried to discuss my situation with him. I have (in writing) Mr. Penrod contradicting himself in every way possible, but they would still never let me even have a chance to be heard in front of my board for review of my case. I can provide written documentation from Mr. Penrod, with his signature, proving all of the lies that CLARB has told.

You are right I can not win this battle, but we can. Its accomplished by writing your congressmen and telling them that you want stricter laws forbidding CLARB from performing business in such a manner, and requiring them to follow a certain process when they restructure. The best way to pressure legislation is through your local ASLA. ASLA at the state level will not make the difference because they are in bed with CLARB.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Wyatt, they didn’t want to hear it from me, maybe they’ll listen to you.

Let’s think hypothetically and say small group of disgruntled LARE Candidates are able to hire a team of lawyers who are able to win a case against CLARB’s well-seasoned lawyers, but what does a win do for them? Ok they get their credits back woo-hoo, but now they still have to sit for the rest of the exam that CLARB still controls.

They would spend precious time in which they could be studying gathering enough people for a class action lawsuit (they’d be lucky to get 10 nuts to join them nationwide), then spend thousands of dollars to get “lawyered up”, just to spend months if not years in court just to get credit back and still not be registered. Now I’m just a regular old state school boy, but it seems like it would be cheaper, easier and faster to study like crazy for LARE and pass it.

While you guys are at it why don’t you stop in on the Hill and straighten out Congress for us as well.

Oh and please keep us posted on how that class action lawsuit works out for you. 

temp impact
    Participant

Craig,
    Again. Please leave this conversation. You have no business leaving these types of inflammatory comments. On your way out please check this website:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-clarb-continue-offering-section-d-of-the-lare
    I guess there are more than just 10 nuts. These 124 nuts existed before I created this discussion. They all wouldnt mind a little TLC from CLARB.
    Where I come from we help our neighbor or you won’t survive. That’s the least CLARB could do.
    I understand you dislike CLARB and disagree with many on this post. I can understand your desire to want to give up on restoring integrity of CLARB. But this is supposed to be a search for help. Respectfully, please take your comments somewhere else.

temp impact
    Participant

I won’t push him aside but I don’t think name calling is very professional.

temp impact
    Participant

Craig specifically refers to people who were disrupted by CLARB as ‘nuts’.

temp impact
    Participant

Mr. Penrod said; “CLARB neither has the obligation, nor did they find it financially practical to inform candidates of CLARB’s restructuring by USPS or over the telephone.”
    So the reason candidates didn’t receive notice in the mail or a phone call was because CLARB didn’t want to spend the money.
    If you were taken off of their email list the only notice candidates would have received from CLARB were Facebook and twitter notifications.
    Does that seem wrong to anyone? How can this not be negligence when traditional communications are considered impractical? Every other notification candidates receive from CLARB is through the USPS. So why not this important information?

temp impact
    Participant

I’m not comparing.

temp impact
    Participant

Not thin skinned… It’s just unprofessional and has no place on a professional website. Name calling is never very nice. And he has been asked by several people on several occasions to respectfully bow out. No need to defend him my friend.

temp impact
    Participant

Thank you

Anonymous
    Inactive

Henry I appreciate you having my back. You are A-1 in my book. 

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register