Upcoming Section C; the LARE in general

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE Upcoming Section C; the LARE in general

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Judy Venonsky
    Participant

Thanks Elizabeth. Actually I also failed in the area of creating 2 significantly different plans. All of my other areas I got 1’s on. I recently read here in this forum that you can’t have any 2 elements in the same place, and I would bet that this is where I fell short.

As for the written portion, it amazes me that one of the graders could be so cavalier as to give you a 3 that would clearly cause you to fail the test, when subsequently (after paying more money) it was deemed passing. I was extremely careful to analyze all of the areas of impact on the site. I realize I have very little chance of getting this overturned, but I would love to speak with someone who is responsible for grading who could help me understand what I am missing. You can’t take the test with you when you leave, you are not allowed to speak to anyone at the Redline review. What kind of test doesn’t make it clear as to what exactly you need to do to study and pass? I am anything but a quitter, but I don’t know how I am supposed to get better.

Ray Freeman
    Participant

For those gearing up for the LARE performance sections (C&E) in June, you might want to consider an intensive prep class. I’ll be happy to answer questions here or contact me directly at the e-mail below.

Ray

LARE Preparation Courses in Northern California

Freeman & Jewell Landscape Architecture is once again offering our popular series of preparatory courses for candidates taking the Landscape Architect Registration Examination. The courses are generally offered four times each year in Northern California, usually four to six weeks prior to the examination dates. Our classes have attracted students from 35 states, 5 Canadian Provinces, Washington, DC, Puerto Rico, and Germany.

All of our courses are current with the 2006 exam format, and are updated every six months. We offer a class on the multiple choice sections in January and July.

Class Dates:

Section E_April 8-10                           Fri-Sat-Sun 8:30-6:00 pm

Section C_April 22-24                           Fri-Sat-Sun 8:30-6:00 pm

We have a strict maximum of 26 students per class to allow for individual one on one desk crits during vignette work periods. I have 10 years of experience in teaching LARE reviews and have helped over 1000 students prepare for the exam. Our students pass rates are exceptional. Over the past 3 years, they have exceeded the national average by 18 percentage points and the California average by over 21 percentage points in both performance sections.

Instructor: Ray Freeman, ASLA, RLA in California, Massachusetts, and North Carolina and CPESC (nationwide). Over 30 years experience in private practice, plus a few odd years in the public sector. Former lecturer at Harvard, UC Berkeley, UC Davis Extension, and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

The classes cover exam formats, tips and tricks, and feature programmed instruction focusing on developing the skills needed to solve every known type of technical task required on these sections of the LARE. The format of the classes are lecture, question and answer, and studio-like work sessions with desk crits and review of each exercise or vignette done in class. In addition to a study guide, students will receive at least 21 problems in the C review and 25 in the E review, of which about 10 will be worked in class.

To obtain a current copy of our brochure and registration form, please e-mail Rayfreeman3@comcast.net.

Location: Marin Headlands (15 minutes north of San Francisco). The setting is unmatched. Unfortunately, we won’t give you much time to enjoy the view. Inexpensive bunkhouse style accommodations at the facility are available, and there is a very reasonably priced shuttle service from SFO airport.

Cost: $450 per course.

Ray Freeman
    Participant

There are non-photo blue pencils (they clearly say that on them). I believe col-erase produces them. There are also non-print purple pencils. These are designed to not print using a diazo process (now thankfully obsolescent).  They aren’t the same. Non-photo blue is made to not reproduce with a xerographic process (copy machine), although if you bear down hard enough, it will, especially with the new digital scanner-copiers.

But I digress. CLARB has stated that they will not grade non-photo blue marks on the vignette vellum. That means you don’t get penalized for leaving them on, but also they don’t count as work done either! So you have to do your work in pencil, on the vellum they give you. I suggest avoiding using ink. It’s a b**** to erase off of vellum.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register