Are you working or not ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    landplanner
    Participant

Update:

For all that have already responded or will, please also include your anecdotal observations about the overall economic conditions and, in particular, the  improving employment prospects or continuing unemployment quagmire in our profession or related ones in the design field. If this forum gets enough of that kind of commentary, it should enrich this discussion and perhaps, maybe even give a slight reading as to how to what the REAL conditions are out there, and not just what economic forecasts, good, bad or indifferent say we should believe.

Archinet has an interesting and revealing discussion string going on right now where those who contribute to the string, simply state, straight-up whether they are employed or unemployed architects or architectural designers.

This is a completely unscientific and clearly not statistically valid attempt to see what is happening in the landscape architecture and land planning professions.

The Architnet survey so far reveals about 1/3rd of the respondents are unemployed, not under-employed, as is flat-out, out of work. That seems to square with other parts of the country, such as the estimate of upwards of 20% in Chicago (Chicago Magazine) and anywhere from 30-50% in the Pacific Northwest (source: unreliable street rumors from AIA offices).

So I propose we follow the Archinet format and see what numbers we get from this casual poll.

If you employed, write back with a YES*

If your unemployed, write back with an emphatic NO!!

Try to resist the impulse to editorialize beyond the simple answer requested.

Let’s keep the discussion thread open for 30 days from today.

I will do the hard number crunching of raw division to see what the percentage looks like.

If we get any kind of healthy response, the results will be unreliable, but revealing nevertheless.

Ryland Fox
    Participant

yes

Peter M. Boyle
    Participant

No.

Erin Carpenter
    Participant

Yes

Ryan Bentley
    Participant

Yes

Dominic Esser
    Participant

NO!!!

Lubima
    Participant

yes!

Chad Watkins
    Participant

YES

Jessi Seglar
    Participant

No

Mark Sanford
    Participant

yes

Boilerplater
    Participant

No, nearly 6 months. I live in one of the worst-hit metros in the country.

Chris Whitted
    Participant

Nope.

landplanner
    Participant

I’m going to expand this simplistic survey and have respondents add some anecdotal observations about the economic and employment conditions related to our profession in their region of the country. Please add yours.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Much lower real estate values than a few years ago. Very few real estate transactions. Many commercial jobs that have been permitted are not getting built. Many unbuilt subdivisions being offered for sale to the towns for open space (we have a “land bank” system that funds these purchases from realestate transactions), many empty store fronts, and very little indication of stimulus work. Real estate transactions are taking place, but only for bargain hunters who don’t seem to be contacting anyone to design improvements.

Most civil engineering offices in the area are all but dead. We’ve been OK, but I’m concerned that it is thinning out for us (civil office) as well. Our work has not been on many projects that are producing a lot of additional design or a lot of construction.

Oddly, builders and others seem optimistic and talk about hearing that it is picking up, but it seems always to be second hand. I’ve got to believe that the civil offices are the early predictors and if that is true, it does not look good.

nca
    Participant

In this part of northern Colorado, which granted is evidently a different market than even Denver just 40 miles or so further south I have been sensing some optimism. We work closely with builders and subdivision developers specifically and there are new projects springing up in that realm.

I dont know if the work we have is an anomoly or not. Several design-builds and municipalities have advertised openings near denver.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 188 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register