Are you working or not ?

Viewing 8 posts - 181 through 188 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    Rick Ramirez
    Participant

Yes, 4years as a student intern, full time since june 2010

Rico Flor
    Participant

What’s the updated stats?

Rob Williams
    Participant

Cincinnati and surrounding areas. I have found work in the most unlikely places. You can’t just sit on your butt and expect the work to just come up and hit you in the face. I have been doing this for about 20 plus years now and you have to constantly be reinventing yourself. Knock on doors, pick up the phone. Don’t be like the buzzard waiting for something to die, ” go out and kill something!”
    I do design work in all sectors and have expanded my function to include general contracting as well. My consulting / contracting company can provide turn key operations from design to build or just consulting if need be.
    Making yourself valuable in the marketplace is up to you and no amount of schooling will teach you that.
    I have seen a lazy trend with many new graduates in the Landscape Architectural field. Seems there is a misconception the title will automatically get you a job. My advice to you is to get creative. Offer your services at a discounted rate to landscape companies to get you in the saddle. That can get you some real world budget experience. learn as much as you can about the working landscape from planting of trees and shrubs to how your design effects the Grounds maintenance budget.
    I have won projects with many developers because I could show how my design would reduce the Grounds maintenance budget.
    I appologise if this rambled a bit but I hate to see talented people getting left by the wayside.
    Good Luck to you all. “Go Make something great happen in your life!”

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

NO. Since May 25th. I hate not working. I need to work, not just for money but structure and general well-being too. Going door to door, talking to firms is depressing. Offices are empty and you can hear a pin drop. Everybody has the same response, “We’d love to hire you but we’re barely hanging on…” I think I’ll try for a position as a Walmart greater soon… wish me luck!

mark foster
    Participant

Yes, but it’s tight. (Louisville, KY and surrounding areas–Owner of a small design/build firm, 20 years, specializing in residential/commercial design and construction).

2009 was way off–residential/commercial clients did not know where they stood financially and were very manic depressive about $ (yes, do it–no, no wait…o.k. no, yes…). 2010 Clients seem to be more comfortable with where they are in terms of $ (even if not so well), and the market is more stable. We are on-track to have one of our best years in 2010.

New construction in residential and commercial is weak–Hospitals and nursing homes being the exception. Renovation of existing, and infill is fairly strong. The people who are into a property for the long-haul are still willing to spend, but the “5 year and out” market has completely vanished. In other words, fewer calls, but the ones who do are serious.

I do see some bright spots. On the market side: Tight competition at the commercial level is sparking interest in a desire to stand out from the rest, and this filters down to the outdoor sites/campuses/courtyards. Less housing mobility means that residential clients renovate, rather than move. On the job side: The tighter economy has also given a wake-up call to a lot of nursery/landscape/construction companies to “skill up”–especially the ones who have nooooo in-house design. I’m with Rob on this one–widen your nets.

landplanner
    Participant

Please continue to respond and keep this string going. I promise a summary report by the end of November, 2010

landplanner
    Participant

Please continue to state your employment status, outlook and general opinion about the state of the economy in your region of the country and the nation overall.

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

Still working as a planner, in SC. I have had some interest from firms saying they are busy and asking if I would be willing to consider moving…but honestly that scares me a bit. I know that if I am hired and things tank again, I am the first to go…and I won’t uproot my family and move with that kind of unease. I know when I see a good thing, and a steady paycheck is a good thing.

Plus, I feel I am making a difference. I am teaching the architects, planners and engineers that I work with in this small town about the value of landscape architecture. I am working on a greenway plan…actually just about to start my second one. And, I am learning a lot about ordinances and the power they have towards good design.

I know that when the economy gets back on track, I will have not only some great projects in my portfolio, but a town that is a little bit better environmentally and design-wise because I spent some time there.

By the way, it is a military town, so the base helps stabilize our local economy. That said, SC does have a high unemployment rate, and construction here is still lagging.

Viewing 8 posts - 181 through 188 (of 188 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register