Bad font decisions, yes I’m talking to you Papyrus users!

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Bad font decisions, yes I’m talking to you Papyrus users!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    ALEX P
    Participant

so what is it then?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I sell design with my mouth.

I design with my mind.

I put it on paper for landscapers to know where things go – not sure if many of the eyes that see the plan after the plants are ordered can even read.

Nope, I’m not too worried about my Leroy-like L80 and S80 simplex text one bit. Nor would I get freaked out if it came out as papyrus or something else just as long as it read easily and did not take up too much real estate on the plan.

I”m not a graphic designer, I’m a landscape designer (and have earned the title “Landscape Architect”).

ALEX P
    Participant

Okay, yes i agree with you said, but will you settle with graphic communicator?  I was not aware of the LA vs. LD dichotomy.  At my university there is a landscape design a landscape architecture program, and they are not the same. 

Nick Mitchell
    Participant

I also dislike font that does not fit its context. And I have used Comic Sans on a project board before… My team was presenting to an elementary class and we thought it would be appropriate and fun. I usually use standard default fonts because they read the best and there is a reason why they are wildly used. All the large offices I have been to seem to use them too. Another reason is because fonts are expensive! An adobe font package can cost $2,500 and single fonts can go as high as $400!

All programs have there strengths and weaknesses and its hard to get all the education you need in 5 years. I do find that strange that your school didn’t cover basic graphic design, did they give you free electives where you could fit it in? I once asked my professor why we don’t offer a civil engineering course and he told me straight up, “That is what graduate school is for!” and he is right.

Congrats on cum laude!

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

A landscape architects are a sub set of landscape designers. All landscape architects are landscape designers. Not all landscape designers are landscape architects.

ALEX P
    Participant

The “elective” was the .1%  not all of us can afford to go to grad school, and mildy expected to learn somethings like graphics while an undergrad.. i guess thats what i get for expecting something.

ALEX P
    Participant

Well for the most case, its appears that most others on here are just as ignorant as me, just against what i think.   Well im not looking to own my own shop. just make people aware that it is possible to change the font, and that contrary to “popular” belief papyrus is not a good font.  

ALEX P
    Participant

apparently its not that funny

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cum laude or not, I’m not sold. You just graduated. Why should I join your crusade against the use of the papyrus font? How can you say what font looks good and what doesn’t? It’s so subjective.

I care about saving prairies and wet lands; I don’t care so much about what font a person uses.

I think the problem is that you’re just another super smart guy that has a problem sorting through and prioritizing what’s important. Not a knock on you because the world needs people like you. Have you thought about pursuing a doctorate and earning a living in academia? I’ll bet you could take this font thing places.

Heather Smith
    Participant

Here we go again…

Jonathan Smith, RLA
    Participant

Oops…This^^^ is mine.

ALEX P
    Participant

What does that mean?

ALEX P
    Participant

this is conceptually confusing. just because i just graduated does not mean i dont know anything about fonts.  also just because someone might be a principle at some firm does not make them the know all end all. I am NOT the only only one who feels this way about papyrus. but i do like the idea of being some sort of academic about font usage within landscape architecture.. it has to start somewhere.

ALEX P
    Participant

gimme a break, miss smith.

ALEX P
    Participant

the dichotomy continues 

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register