Design Software and system

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

“But, autoCAD is a “production tool”………..NOT a “design tool”.”

That is correct. I don’t think anyone believes otherwise. You bring this up every time someone has a cad related question. It is not a religion that you either believe in or you are against. It is a tool that some people use – just as you stated. Those that use it have questions that they want answers to. They are not looking to convert to another religion and don’t need to be saved. They just want information.

Andrew…….I’m sorry, but I think you’re mistaken about this issue……that’s WHY I brought it up.

There are MANY young LA’s who go “straight to autoCAD” to design……maybe because they don’t know better?  Maybe because they don’t have “hand drawing” skills? 

I recall about 7 years ago meeting with the Princial & Owner of an LA firm in Las Vegas……he had approx. 12 young LAs on staff.  He’s a friend and I was visiting him while in town.  While I was there, he jumped a couple of his young LAs and told them….saying, “hey guys, I told you to NOT begin design concepts on autoCAD….get your pens and pencils out and sketch”.  The Owner of that LA firm was about my age.  So, I saw FIRST HAND…..that yes, there are LAs out there that really do NOT understand the “design process”. 

AutoCAD (if you’re very good with it)…..is a GREAT production tool….but, it’s a very POOR “design tool”.

And……Andrew, I don’t appreciate your sarcasm or “digs” every time I post here on LAND8……I have just as much RIGHT to post here on LAND8 as you do.  I realize I don’t have all of the answers……I’m still learning like everyone else….but, I’ve been at it for over 36 years (plus, I have logged in over 8,000 hrs. of over-time),…..that’s another 4 years in this profession.  In the future……I would very much appreciate a little bit of “respect”……thanks.

Bob

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I was in school between ’81-’83 when everything was taught by hand. I dropped it because I did not have drawing hands that would allow me to move forward in the profession at that time. Fifteen years later I got my degree because I learned how to draw using CAD …. because I had to. I’m still learning autoCAD. It is a ridiculously complex program with lots of options and variables with the idea that no matter what you are trying to do they are trying to give you a means to do it.

Proficiency is related to what you are trying to accomplish with it. Simple house outlines with a bed and plants arranged can be taught in a day. Doing complex Site Plans of just residences can take months or years to be proficient.

It all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish, what alternatives you have, and how much time and money you want to put into it. Hand drawing is one of those alternatives. For some people the lack of physical ability to do that makes it impractical. I still believe that hand drawing is, more often than not, a faster process.

Even I would bang out simple foundation plantings on graph paper if I was doing small planting design at a nursery. The graphics don’t have to be great. All you need is to convey what the planting will look like and give a means for laying it out. The trip back to an office to do it on software would take longer than sketching it and the customer would still by the plants.  But, if I need a full site plan it will look like hell if I were to hand draw it.

If you broke both of your arms and they were in casts would you still try to make a living as a landscape architect drawing with your hands? Would you become incompetent just like that? Would you find an alternative method and be as competent as you are now?

Well………….that wouldn’t be an ISSUE for me, Andrew….as I’m very comfortably retired…..and have been since I was 58 (6 yrs. ago).  Though, I still do “some” design work from time to time…….I don’t have to.  Well, I’m not 64 yet, but will be in December. Though, I admit, my LAND8 Folio photo was taken 3 mos. before I turned 60….yeah, well, I’m still OLD SCHOOL.

But, if you broke both arms, HOW could you even do autoCAD?  Don’t you still have to use a mouse and the key board?  I remember when I was about 13 yrs. old, my Dad fell and broke one hand (he could draw as well with both hands)….still, my Mom had to assist him for several weeks….they handled it.

Though, I will say…I don’t like the thought of really ever being fully retired from Landscape Architecture…….I just like remaining on the “fringes”.  Some design, consulting work…..mentoring younger LA’s….getting involved in a couple of different LA Forums.  I feel I’ll always be connected to Landscape Architecture in some form or fashion…..it’s in my blood.

Regards,

Bob

Robert Anderson
    Participant

Seriously, Revit! Are you kidding! This is like using a sledge hammer to drive finish nails!

Robert Anderson
    Participant

I would consider one of the inexpensive off the shelf “do-it-yourself” home designer packages before subjecting someone to as intense as that.

As an alternative you could explore using Vectorworks Landmark. It has the ability to produce attractive plans and, in my opinion, if your not encumbered with the way AutoCAD does things you will lean much more quickly.

As for the computer resource requirements you should check the following:

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

The point being that you’d still be the same competent LA that you are now or ten years ago if you had no choice but to find an alternative to using your skilled hands much like your dad using his other hand. … also changed from one cast to two before posting that because I knew you’d say that you would switch hands.

YOU would still be competent as an LA if you lost your ability to hand draw, wouldn’t YOU? I believe that you would be.

Are you having FUN yet, Andrew?

No….I totally DISAGREE with you.  Had I not learned “hand drawing” skills…….at the early age of 12…I just wouldn’t have had the successful LA career I have had.  Hand sketching & drawing skills…..allowed me to design and go effectively through the “creative process”…to generate great IDEAS for every project. 

As I mentioned….you just can’t start out “designing” using autoCAD…..oh well, yeah, I guess you can, but I can guarantee you the RESULTS will not be nearly as creative or profession had you started out doing sketches, thumbnails, prelim. sketches….just trying various ideas and approaches to various design problems. 

I think an excellent example of this “concept” is Leonardo di Vinci….his hand sketches and drawings were incredible……those sketches were is way of going through the creative thinking process…to invent. 

Like I said, autoCAD is a “production” tool…..it’s like a “computerized drafting machine”. 

I understand ALLAN’s original question…he’s searching for a way….a method to reduce TIME spent on projects.  I’m sure there are some pretty simple “computer software” programs on the market….that don’t have the steep learning curve that autoCAD has.  But, again, these programs should be used for “production”….to finalize a Planting Plan or Pool Design.  Coming up with the IDEAS for the designs really should be a “hand sketch” process.  Hand sketches don’t have to be great….it’s just a method to get your “thoughts” on paper.

Every project that I posted on my LAND8 Folio….went through this “hand sketch…hand drawn preliminary drawing process……BEFORE I hard-lined any final contract documents.  It would have matter over the years IF I had been proficient at autoCAD or not…..I STILL would have gone through the SAME “design – creative process”.

You might TRY it, Andrew………it works.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register