Right Now- My only real live job option- I need some input from anyone that wants to offer it

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Right Now- My only real live job option- I need some input from anyone that wants to offer it

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I don’t know about anyone else, but my 2 IRAs are right back to where they were before 2008. What the heck does this have to do with Landplanner’s thread?

landplanner
    Participant

Keep the constructive commentary coming. Everything so far is much appreciated.

Landplanner

Steven Velegrinis
    Participant

Im an Australian Landscape Architect and Urban Planner and Ive worked in Southeast Asia, China and the Middle East for the past 12 years. 

It has been the most pivotal and positive things i ever did in my life and and I can strongly recommend it to you.

Be aware that working culture in China is fairly hardcore.  Very, very, very long hours and scales of projects that dont allow you to do the job you would like to do.  Some employers are a bit dodgy but get in touch with people who have worked there through Land8 or Linked In and get the skinny from them.

Other than that expect a whirlwind journey and enjoy the ride…..

landplanner
    Participant

Thank you for your commentary. Your resume is knock-out impressive so your in an upper class by yourself.

The firm principal in the Shanghai office has admitted that they do some evenings and weekends when required.

You used the word “very” three times before long hours, and that is a tad scary. I understand that the speed by which projects are done and the scale prohibit or inhibit development and refinement of designs. I also am nowhere close to the digital graphics capability and talent your portfolio shows. I have proficiency in AutoCAD, SketchUp and the Adobe Creative Suite (no 3DsMax) I do intend to improve in that arena while I am there.

Any other comments are welcome.

Thank you

landplanner
    Participant

Thanks for the commentary. Keep it coming.

Landplanner

landplanner
    Participant

Thanks for the commentary. Keep it coming

Heather Smith
    Participant

I hope you will keep us updated on your adventure!

landplanner
    Participant

Thanks for the commentary and interest please keep it coming

Anonymous
    Inactive

Landplanner – I think working abroad in China (excluding the long distance) is just like working in the US. You could accept a position that you think is a dream, but it turns into a nightmare.

For me the decision is easy. I would go to where ever my skills are wanted. As long as I have food, shelter and nobody’s shooting at me, it’s all good. If you don’t like it over there by the time you come back we could be building things in this country again.

landplanner
    Participant

Thank you. That was very helpful to me. Your right, as long as I don’t get dispatched to do any downtown redevelopment in Libya or nuclear plant bio-remediation work in Japan, I should be OK.,

Anonymous
    Inactive

LOL.

Artillery rounds and radiation are definite deal breakers for me as well. They make it really difficult to do site reconnaissance.

ann gilkey
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I can tell you that your experience in landscape architecture makes you one of the best “Jacks-of-all-trades” on the market.  Finding the niche is the catch.  I have ended up as an academic advisor at a vocational institution because of my ability to understand the downturn in the building industry, my abilitiy to see students as projects to be managed with the end “design” being their vocational success in the new emerging marketplace.  No one in education where I am at has a clue what project management or the creative problem solving process can do for them.  Nor do they know how to pitch concepts to visually wired society.  I have found it (my training in LA) enormously helpful in this economy and can see applications for it in many other enterprises outside of traditional LA.

Unfortunately, I miss drawing and implementing built solutions on the terrain.  However, I intend to harness my skills in whatever comes my way in order to keep myself afloat in perilous times.  If moving to Shanghai is the only option for you, I’d say take it.  However, life is short.  If you can find a creative way to move closer to home, I’d give it a shot.  You never know what unique opportunities might turn up right in your own back yard.  

landplanner
    Participant

Please keep the comments coming they have been very beneficial and insightful. I appreciate all who have

chimed in so far.

Landplanner

landplanner
    Participant

Please continue to offer me your views and insights.

thank you.

LandPlanner

Tim Zhang
    Participant

Why confine yourself to one place? I was once offered a position in a Beijing firm before and I refused, and I am still kicking myself over it. If you turn it down now, i promise you’ll wake up one morning, run outside, collapse onto the ground, shattering your knees and the surrounding asphalt, and then shake fist at the sunrise for not ever taking the job. Maybe not as dramatic.. but if you think you’ll have even an ounce of regret for not taking it, accept the position!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register