BIM in Landscape Architecture

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Randy Royer
    Participant

Is there anyone out there incorporating BIM into their practice of Landscape Architecture?

Ryland Fox
    Participant

I don’t have a practice so it is all experimentation but I have been using and teaching Digital Projects for a couple of years. Also Grasshopper for Rhino (which is probably the most fun) and to some extent Archicad.

I have said it a few times on here, BIM and parametric software will be the industry standard in the future so it is worth trying to understand and learn it now. Because the point of the software is to incorporate all aspects of a project into one model LA’s will be left behind in collaborative work if we don’t pick it up. The ASLA paper that come out last year about BIM was ok but didn’t really go into the power of BIM and how to use it as a design tool.

Randy Royer
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I read the ASLA paper and thought the same thing. I am interested in how to actually make it work…

We are a multi-discipline firm (Arch and LA). The Architects are are getting into it and I think we need to be able to integrate better with them. They are using Revit. I will look into Rhino.

Ryland Fox
    Participant

Revit is similar to Archicad. They are both basically building tools and can be useful but haven’t really been developed for landscape yet. That isn’t to say they can’t be used for landscape as I have used Archicad before and found it to be pretty good.

BIM and parametrics is all in the relationships. You really end up manipulating space and relationship to other objects as well as the object itself. Revit is basically components you insert into a design that have information built into them, so what needs to happen is the development and inclusion of a set of landscape objects for site engineering and design.

SherifMorad
    Participant

I would say some of the main software out there that kinda integrate BIM in landscape architecture are VectorWorks LandMark and ArchiCAD…..basically in the notion of integrating “intelligent” landscape objects in the design, and linking them to databases of e.g. plants and other elements…..not aware though of how they play a role interoperability-wise with other software or with neutral formats for further manipulation
    I guess VW is doing a better job, I think a couple of firms are starting to implement VW LandMark in landscape projects, e.g. PWP LA firm,and Graham LA firm…
    If you know more than this, please let me know, I’m very interested in knowing so, as I am a PhD student and researcher, and my interest is in integrating BIM practices in site planning and landscape

Ryland Fox
    Participant

Of course landscape and site planning will get integrated into BIM software. It is just a question of the components getting built. They aren’t going to just stop developing the software, it may take awhile but it will happen.

Brian Hochstein
    Participant

Anybody use or try LandFX? Thoughts? I am going to see there software presentation this week and wonder if it accomplishes any BIM aspects.

Eric Gilbey
    Participant

Having switched over to Vectorworks after using AutoCAD for many years, I was impressed to know that many have been using Vectorworks Landmark in performing SIM (Site Information Modeling) for some time now. The plant symbols are actually data objects that have the ability to be hybridized to be both 2D & 3D, so a landscape architect/designer could either “test” their ideas directly back and forth, or use it to present their ideas to the customer. Personally, I think the power of Vectorworks is both in this ability to marry the 2D and 3D aspects of our designs, but to use the data to make better decisions about how we design. The plant data can be used to make sure we are using drought tolerant plants where water is a concern, and sun loving plants where exposure is a concern, and native plants where we do not want to pollute the site with fertilizers and other controlling chemicals. The 3D site modeling tool allows a landscape architect/designer to model the site with the ideas they are proposing, and again test it for valid handling of the grades and balancing the site’s cut and fill. Being able to make reports from all objects placed in the site, such as plants, hardscapes, surface treatments, lighting, and other features, allows a designer to not only design more efficiently, but to report what their plans are proposing, quantifying the solution so that we can prove to our clients that when we approach the municipalities and planning authorities with our solution, they can see the rationale of our plans’ and their suitable response to the design standards. For those who think Revit might be a site solution to wait for, I would say Revit is BIM and Vectorworks Architect is too…but Vectorworks Landmark is SIM and why wait to see what Revit might do with the site when I can start doing it now with Vectorworks Landmark.

ikaika fish
    Participant

We use LandFx at my firm. I know the partners had to decide between Vectorworks and LandFx and went with LandFx. I would call this software light BIM capable. It essentially works off of Autocad and add toolbars and BIM capacities. You can set up a database of plants and materials and then run schedules based on the inputted information. Plant symbols are essentially 2D BIM objects. LandFx does a good job at irrigation layout. It sizes pipes and circuits based on parameters that you set. What I really like about LandFx irrigation is that major irrigation manufacturers supply information to LandFx and that information (model #s and performance data) is included in the database. LandFx contains an extensive list of plants, information on sizing and cultivars, direct from major plant growers. LandFx also updates their software often through downloads which include updates to the databases and bug fixes. There is also a link to SketchUp to help in 3D visuallization. We’ve encountered problems, one of them is that it doesn’t do golf irrigation equipment.

ikaika fish
    Participant

I was told directly from Autodesk development that they are not going to produce Revit for landscapes. Of course you can build a landscape in Revit, but you won’t have the BIM advantage.

Tim Slazinik
    Participant

I am currently completing a landscape project in Revit. I work at a multidisciplinary firm and decided to dive into the Revit Deep End and after a lot of on the fly training and figuring stuff out on our own, we are now at 50% CD’s and nearing completion. We have had to work around some thing but I have really like the plant scheduling and rendering capabilities. Its nice that when i move a detail or delete a plant, my callouts and schedules automatically update themselves. There is a LOT of up fron work and your project will be weighted heavily towards the front end. (Just getting all the info in there) but CDs are much simpler and coordination with in house architecture is very simple. We have our files linked together so she get my updates and vice versa. I also imported all of our site furnishings from sketchup and cad so that they are included in the renderings and such. Converting the CAD details to Revit was a large task but now they are all here so the next project will go much more smoothly.

E Beesley
    Participant

Depends what you mean by BIM. Of course BIM means Building Information Modeling so perhaps LIM ( Landscape Information Modeling ) would be more appropriate. I use Vectorworks Landmark which allows me to work using a BIM (or LIM workflow).

I draw with landscape and architectural related objects, which have information assigned to them and then I can take this information off in worksheets and schedules. I take off Plant Schedules and Hardscape Schedules. Vectorworks Landmark also has a terrain modeling tool that allows me to show existing and proposed stages, from which I can also calculate Cut and FIll values. Is this what you had in mind?

Linda W. Jones
    Participant

I use BIM.

You can see my work under the video and pictures of this website or at:
    http://webshots.com/user/lindawjones1

Linda W. Jones
    Participant

Hi Michael,

I use ArchiCAD and the add-ons for ArchiCAD out of England and New Zealand. I have advanced skills and use BIM.
    You can see my work at:
    http://webshots.com/user/lindawjones1
    and on this website under videos and pictures.

Linda Jones in California

Linda W. Jones
    Participant

I am using ArchiCAD 12 with the add-on called OBJECTiVE made by Encina LTD. in England for designing my own custom 3D objects with BIM technolgy, and Landscape Design Suite by Cadimage in New Zealand for usage of landscape design in 2D and 3D for plans and modeling.
    I am going to upload some things to show you. I did a Spanish Fountain using OBJECTiVE. (see PDF called LRSpanish Fountain). Right now I’m working on the design of a business park in Alameda using Landscape Design Suite features. I will try to get this work to you. If I can also. The concept is to go from the old-fashioned design concept of using regular California landscape design plants to the new drought tolerant plants such as those found in New Zealand, Australia and California; Tiff file Example: EG043 (a plant called Goldfinger or Libertia) pr EG038 v.2 (Metrosideros). My plan can’t be copied at this time. these are 2 plants used in the work done in BIM and 2D as well.

I hope that you like them.

Linda

Linda Jones in California

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register