Can I apply for MLA programs or jobs in LA?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Can I apply for MLA programs or jobs in LA?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Craig……I guess we can “agree to disagree” on some of your points here.

While I agree with you, it’s always good to be a concerned LA and citizen with regards to the “green energy & sustainable movements”…..I’m RIGHT about what Dr. Moore has stated about Global Warming.  Even last night on FOX News, he was being interviewed and he stated that the Earth’s temperature has only increased 1 centigrade over the past 150 years – that we do know. 

I think Mr. Moore would have a better understanding of the concept of so called Global Warming (now referred to as Climate Change) than say, Al Gore.  Al Gore is a super hypocrite!  Al Gore was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize for his Green Energy activism.  Then, he becomes a major partner in the very Liberal TV network “Current TV” based in San Francisco.  Current TV began to struggle financially, so the partners sold it to AL JAZEERA for $500 million…Al Gore personally made $70 million off of that deal.  Who is Al Jazeera?  It’s an extremist and liberal Global TV Network owned by the Country of Qatar…a Country who produces 850,000 barrels of OIL per day.  So, Al Gore made millions off of a company who is owned by one of the largest oil producing Nations on the Planet.  In addition, I learned that Al Gore owns (3) homes.  His home in Nashville, Tennessee uses something like 220,000 kilowatts of electricity per year – which is 20 times more electricity used by the average American homeowner.  Pure hypocrisy.

But, yes, sustainability designs, water conservation, pollution regulations, etc. are all good for us all.  But, WHY isn’t there a global movement to curb “population” growth?  Wouldn’t that also be a HUGE help to decreasing the need for valuable resources…such as food, water…even energy sources such as oil, electricity and natural gas?

Again, Mr. Moore stated there is ZERO PROOF that “global warming” exists.  It’s a “political” agenda that is going a long way to serve those who are capitalizing on the “green energy” movement.

Trace One
    Participant

You are right that that is what Moore states, but you are wrong about global warming being non-existent. Aside from Al Gore (who cares about him?) 97% of the scientific community has measured and tested global warming for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

It’s just wikipedia, but it has tons of links. “NO scientific body disagrees with this concensus.”

I think you need to examine your own predilections, J. Robert. You are in a scientific field, yet you refuse to listen to scientists. What other things do you object to – evolution? Photosynthesis? Gravity? These have all been proved by science.

The scientific method always allows for questioning, for new data. Always. I am sure you know how it works, right? And the science on global warming is overwhelming.

But how can you stand listening to  FOX news anyway? Did you see FOX news commentator Napolitano get destroyed on the Daily Show, over his opinions on the Civil war? Absolutely trashed. As is most of the stuff you see on FOX – it’s just garbage.

But like I said before, I doubt you can change your opinions. Even if you try! How would that be for a mind-bending excercize for you – prepare a ten page paper that summarizes the scientific concensus on global warming – you can use wikipedia. Do it just for a thought experiment – take the other side! I dare you!

Here’s me on how FOX tries to argue: obfuscate, falsely correlate, repeat repeat repeat, ridicule and use sarcasm, with sexy cocktail dressed blonds for talking heads,  then, after the sexy blonds repeat the talking points of the day, switch to a sexy murder, or Justin Beiber news. That is how  FOX presents  arguments against global warming.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You’re talking out of both sides of your mouth my friend. Sorry, but there are already people concerned and working on population growth issues. Seriously, a global movement to curb population growth, I think we need to figure out how we can stop killing one another and poisoning our planet first. If we keep ruining our environment over population will be the least of our woes.

Bob I think you might want to open up your mind and look at other resources besides the “Drill, Baby, Drill” network to get your information. Yes, MSNBC certainly has their slant to what they broadcast, but Fox is the worst. It’s a network that feeds into people’s ignorance and fears of a changing world. We’re not going back to the days of “Ozzy and Harriet” and “Leave it to Beaver” and you just need to accept it.

Like I said, I don’t think that anyone really knows exactly what the affects that mankind has on this planet, including Al Gore and you’re Dr. Moore. The majority of climatologists believe in man’s influence on climate change, so there’s probably some validity to what they’re preaching. 150 years is just a blip in time in relationship to the age of the earth. That’s a silly as the people on Fox saying that because we’ve had a harsh winter (2013-14) that global warming is a farce. It’s dangerous people like them that feed such non-sense to people like you, just to line their pockets.

So are you saying that the green energy movement should be squashed because a small number of people will cash in on it and let the sweethearts of Big Oil and Big Coal continue to do their thing because they’re really looking out for us. 

SS27
    Participant

“The scientific method always allows for questioning, for new data. Always. I am sure you know how it works, right? And the science on global warming is overwhelming.”

But that’s not how it works, Trace. Science is comprised of people, and people are not infallible, or more importantly immune from funding pressures and political influence. Science is not about democracy either so the 97% figure is irrelevant. And what about the 3% who disagree anyway? It’s easy to just marginalize them because they’re a minority but perhaps they know something you don’t.

We don’t know as much as we think we do about Earth’s climate. We’re still treating Earth as an isolated body in a vacuum when we already have the scientific data to show Earth actually exists in an electrical environment. Our paradigm hasn’t caught up yet and is being resisted by old men with vested interests. What happens to the theory of global warming when people realize that planets can be affected directly by the Sun through electrical input at the poles and not just through conventional solar output? The theory ends up in the dustbin that’s what.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You made me chuckle Trace. I think Fox is the network for small minded middle aged and older men who will let a big haired blond cupcake lead them over a cliff with their “hotness”.  

I hate to say it but I do watch Fox from time to time when I need a good laugh. 

Trace One
    Participant

@SS27 The 3% in science, ( if you understand the scientific method, which you should!) are NOT marginalized, they are welcomed with open arms, their data looked at and questioned  ad infinitum. It is FOX news that does not allow the 97% to have their say, and the big money for the status quo is behind the global warming deniers – the oil industries, really every business that can’t or won’t think out side the box.

@SS27, you seem to have a serious misunderstanding of the scientific method. Contrary data is not marginalized, it is elucidated and examined, over and over.

You and J. Robert seem to have some inherent dislike of academia. Is that true? How do you feel about college? How was your college experience?.

And please don’t tell me you want to talk about sun spots and global warming. Please.

I recommend you read the wikipedia entry on global warming, for starters, follow ALL links, and PLEASE, write out one sentence for me  on your understanding of the scientific method.

Finally, who is winning? the global warming deniers have barely allowed us to move in any direction to alleviate the issues that global warming is creating, so oil and gas has won for now. For the past twenty years. Profits are high, no action on  ANY country that is in the path of rising seas (did you SEE the speech the representative from the Philipines gave, after the typhoon that levelled the south? He was crying, pleading, to no avail – there is almost NO action on climate change AT ALL. So if you think the money is influencing the science, I geuss that money is just not enough, because the money behind the oil industries have been winning, have succeeded in stopping all action on climate change. 

Lets see your paragraph describing the scientific method, please – I am not convinced you understand how it works.

The scientific method has resulted in the basis of almost everything you do every day, you realize – almost everything  has resulted from the application of the scientific method by humanity. Fiber optic cables, think  about how we figured out that one out. It takes a LONG time to come to scientific certainties (gee, I geuss you are the only one who has thought of the effect of the rest of the solar system – that is amazing!!! You are unique!!), and it takes a long time to refute. So if your amazing new idea that there is electricity between the planets will refute the human causes of global warmng, I know they will spend many many years testing scientific data, over and over, before global warming is thrown inthe trash bin. It is not democratic, by any means, it is scientific. Two different things entirely!!!!’

What DO they teach in schools these days?

SS27
    Participant

Evidently not a lot of critical thinking, hence why so many people such as yourself have been sucked into this nonsense. And I despise people who use the term ‘denier’. It won’t be long before we’re just referred to as conspiracy theorists, or worse.

I do have my issues with academia. I was taught at one of the top private schools in the UK, my dad was a (deputy head) teacher all his life (at the school I went to), and I’m currently doing LA at a college. I love learning, but there definitely problems with education and those who run it. Don’t kid yourself. At University level the problems are even worse.. financial, political, and otherwise.

As for scientific method.. listen, science is great. It is one of my passions and has been all my life. But you’re being willfully ignorant if you don’t believe that money and power don’t influence science. Science doesn’t just happen in some isolated box immune from the influences of the real world, from people.

I’m not interested in being converted. I retain my position and it won’t change. I imagine yours will if you’re around in 30-40 years time.

Trace One
    Participant

@SS27,Money and power, buddy, is WINNING for the anti-global warming people, that you CANNOT DENY!! So there goes that idea of yours! and dare I say, Ah HA! a deep rooted hatred of academia!!! I knew it! Try to get around that, man, you are loosing out on understanding the modern world from your adolescent predjudices!  You must always know your own biases, foremost.

and oh, well, at least you know you can’t be converted. That is a plus. The argument is always futile in my opinion. That is why we need the replicated, peer reviewed, constantly questioned SCIENTIFIC METHOD! Do you see?

I was just reading your LIST of projects above after your P.S……that you state were all “sustainable design” type projects.  I couldn’t help but notice, they ALL appear to be CITY, STATE or FEDERALLY funded projects.  I have a feeling that “sustainable design” was a requirement for these projects and not “optional”.

It has been my experience that most PRIVATE owned companies and developers were more concerned about their “bottom line”. Build the project for the lowest possible cost.  Sustainable designs push initial COSTS UP!  Few developers are willing to wait 10, 15, or 20+ years for the added costs of sustainable design to benefit them.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register