Favorite Tree

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Smith
    Participant

I agree with the metasequioa and the taxodium. Both beautiful trees. But my favourites are all Australian natives. The River Red Gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) is a most awesome tree. It’s best seen in the context of the subtle Australian colours.

The Smooth-barked Apple or Sydney Red Gum (Angophora costata) is an excellent tree for cultivation, closely related to Eucalyptus and Corymbia. It has the most stunning bark that glows a soft pinkish green in the right light.

Scott Wigglesworth
    Participant

Metrosideros excelsa
    Common name – Pōhutukawa
    or New Zealand christmas tree.
    Great coastal tree, red flowers in summer.
    Good for erosion control, extremely hardy in most environments.
    Fun to Climb.

Les Ballard
    Participant

Interestingly, I hope, many of Britains fossil banks show ginkgo leaves from before the species died out here. Forests extended to lands now flooded beneath the North Sea. Someone said that jet jewellery, now coming back into fashion again apparently, may once have been ginkgo. Global cooling and warming – and imports to parks, gardens and streets, have led to ginkgo occurring in Britiain naturally once more. We are also getting a lot of false acacia and, at a lower level, buddleia is a weed in places. As oak once again forms woods in Scotland, thanks to insightful planting, we are also seeing olive trees planted in the south of England. Having read about the favourite trees of people in other countries, I wonder how long it will be before all the species can be found in my home town. At the same time, black poplar and spindle – though available as clones from growers – are becoming extinct in the wild as the weather changes. I really hope that we have opportunities to have accepted plans for native, once native and suitable new trees in our landscapes to match expected climates within 30 to 300 years.

Luv n Lite

Les Ballard

Gabriel Hydrick
    Participant

One of my favorite trees is the Pinus aristata – Bristlecone Pine. This tree has many qualitys and charactoristics with time/age being its prime factor. Also I am from the Sierra Nevada so it is home for me when I see one.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register