LARE test: Who takes it and who decides not to?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE LARE test: Who takes it and who decides not to?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Again, this points out the diversity of the profession of landscape design and that there is no one way to do things. I like that students and others get a chance to understand that when these topics are discussed outside of the stereotype description of the profession.

Trace, don’t you think that it would give you a competitive edge to have been licensed when you try to get that university teaching degree? … won’t it give someone else a competitive edge over you if they did and you didn’t?…. all else being equal?

Deryn Davidson
    Participant

Well, this has been an interesting debate to follow. I appreciate everyone’s candidness in response to my question!

Mark Di Lucido
    Participant

Wow—lots of feedback on this topic!

Short answer:

Don’t over-analyze this. Prepare for, (lots of good prep classes out there) take the test and move on—you’ll have it out of the way and have a great sense of accomplishment.

Longer answer:

All the people I know that couldn’t pass the exam regret it which is unfortunate because the exam is more about test taking ability than knowledge, talent, and passion. But like most other professions, it is helpful for clients and bosses to have some kind of yardstick for judging someone’s ability to do the work—even if the yardstick is not always the best way to get the true measure of ability. When I hire a plumber, mechanic, or arborist, an easily comprehendible measure of their ability includes certifications. It’s certainly not the whole story but then who has time or energy for the whole story these days? Clients and bosses looking to hire a landscape architect need the same measuring stick.

Major blah, blah:

For the places I’ve worked in the private sector it’s a no-brainer–registration brings higher pay, a lot more time on the sharp-end (design and management) of projects, junkets to other cities for marketing and continuing education, etc. For work in the public sector, my experience has been that registration is less important mainly because when working for gov’t agencies we generally don’t seal plans. I know many non-registrants that work as LAs (gotta be careful who we call a landscape architect because all states have title and practice laws now) for agencies but increasingly these positions require advanced degrees.

The strongest argument I have for being registered is the flexibility it brings. When the economy tanked I was able to stay afloat on my own by designing commercial/municipal projects which required a registrant. If on your own and not registered, you’re usually limited to residential work unless you’re paying someone to seal your plans.

I also found that the exam also sharpened by skills by requiring sustained focus for several hours—a skill I didn’t learn in school and which definitely applies in the real world.

Other than missing some TV and a few fishing trips, I can’t think of any disadvantages except the exam fees, (a few hundred $ by the time it’s all said & done) the time involved, and maybe a little aggravation if you have to take a section multiple times (like me). 

Mark Di Lucido
    Participant

Wow—lots of feedback on this topic!

Short answer:

Don’t over-analyze this. Prepare for, (lots of good prep classes out there) take the test and move on—you’ll have it out of the way and have a great sense of accomplishment.

Longer answer:

All the people I know that couldn’t pass the exam regret it which is unfortunate because the exam is more about test taking ability than knowledge, talent, and passion. But like most other professions, it is helpful for clients and bosses to have some kind of yardstick for judging someone’s ability to do the work—even if the yardstick is not always the best way to get the true measure of ability. When I hire a plumber, mechanic, or arborist, an easily comprehendible measure of their ability includes certifications. It’s certainly not the whole story but then who has time or energy for the whole story these days? Clients and bosses looking to hire a landscape architect need the same measuring stick.

Major blah, blah:

For the places I’ve worked in the private sector it’s a no-brainer–registration brings higher pay, a lot more time on the sharp-end (design and management) of projects, junkets to other cities for marketing and continuing education, etc. For work in the public sector, my experience has been that registration is less important mainly because when working for gov’t agencies we generally don’t seal plans. I know many non-registrants that work as LAs (gotta be careful who we call a landscape architect because all states have title and practice laws now) for agencies but increasingly these positions require advanced degrees.

The strongest argument I have for being registered is the flexibility it brings. When the economy tanked I was able to stay afloat on my own by designing commercial/municipal projects which required a registrant. If on your own and not registered, you’re usually limited to residential work unless you’re paying someone to seal your plans.

I also found that the exam sharpened by skills by requiring sustained focus for several hours—a skill I didn’t learn in school and which definitely applies in the real world.

Other than missing some TV and a few fishing trips, I can’t think of any disadvantages except the exam fees, (a few hundred $ by the time it’s all said & done) the time involved, and maybe a little aggravation if you have to take a section multiple times (like me). 

Trace One
    Participant

Yes, andrew, du hast recht. I should just get a PhD, that would work even  better…Actually any letters you can put after your name help, in anything – CSEA, IRT, BMT, USA…DOD…and of course, the ever-useful DNILE.

: )

Don’t know if this will help but when I took the exam I did not look for the correct answer. I went through every choice and proved it wrong until I found one I could not prove wrong. That was the correct answer. Helped me pass. 

Tosh K
    Participant

During my review session I was told they didn’t have a pipe sizing question in 3yrs (’08~’10), so I think that’s buried – I certainly did’t see one on mine.  Ditto on the surveying (elevations using stations) questions.  I believe both are in the PPI review books (and useful to know).  Retaining walls under 4′ are still there (basics of where rebar should go, drainage behind the wall – more in the construction documents / details sections).

Tosh K
    Participant

I suppose the quick response is due it as soon as you feel ready: it’s a test, and test-taking gets harder the longer you’re away from it.  A lot of people fail b/c they over think the questions (some answers would be ‘right’ in practice, but the exam question has 1 correct answer), especially with experience some questions have absurd ‘correct’ answers.

Funny, Trace One…………….NO, I don’t really believe adding PhD after your name would be helpful.  Because, to me, that suggests that you should be TEACHING Landscape Architecture at a University……NOT Practicing Landscape Architecture.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I still believe that anyone who is eligible to sit for the test and feels they have the ability to pass it will do it. The only things that keeps someone who can pass the test from getting licensed is either that they are on a path that keeps them from being eligible to sit for the test (already in business or have a solid job that they can’t give up to get the apprentice time done), or they just can’t afford the exam, or they can’t get hired to get to do the apprentice time. I have no problem with that and don’t think any less of anyone in that circumstance. I have a few friends who never had the apprentice work and are very successful both as designers and contractors. They don’t regret it because their paths had great outcomes, but if they could walk in and take the exam, they would.

I don’t buy the notion that anyone goes through the education required, apprentice time, and does not want to seal the deal.

Trace One
    Participant

and you mine, Henry>

: )

Ray Freeman
    Participant

Well Bob, I totally agree with you about CLARB. The new format for Design and Grading is pretty sickening in my view.

Possibly the most serious issue is that their specs for the exam are highly flawed and they tend to disregard them. The exam would be less difficult if CLARB provided good resources for preparation…meaning that they explained what was going to be on what section so candidates could at least prepare for the breadth of the material they are testing. IMO, CLARB does a very poor job of this.

I have written many e-mails to Jim Penrod about straightforward changes to clarify specific wordings in the old Reference manual. They ALL went directly into the circular file. They never implemented a single one.

Jay Smith
    Participant

It seems as though more employers are requiring, or at least preferring, that applicants be licensed when running ads for experienced people.  I’ve noticed this more and more in the past couple of years with the job ads I’ve seen.  Maybe it’s because there is a glut of qualified applicants out there and they feel they might as well try to get the most qualified people they can find?  I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, has anyone else noticed this trend?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

They know that there has to be a certain level of experience, accomplishment, and commitment there, but also that the person is not just looking to fill in apprentice time.

MLCC
    Participant

VERY hot topic.

My 2 cents is that it definitely depends on what kind of job you will take as to whether or not it’s worth your time and money to become licensed.

I work for a small-ish boutique design (commercial work) firm, where personal licensure is neither encouraged nor celebrated; which, as the years have gone on, has been quite to my dismay.

It took me many years, several tries and TONS of money to pass this test. It was monumental to me to finally pass. It’s hard for me to overstate how happy and relieved I was (the road is paved with bumps to say the least). Yet it is not a big deal at all to my employer, my co-workers, and for 15 years, I don’t think I can ever remember a client or architect asking me if I was licensed.

I know that in many sects of the profession (government/ municipality work for example), licensure is a big deal, and raises an d promotions are contingent up on your being licensed.  But understand that it is not the same situation in others sects/ jobs. Strange, but true.

For me it became mostly a personal goal. I didn’t want to have the degree and not the license. It would feel incomplete. But it is definitely not a true “requirement” across the board in the profession.

I hope that helps. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register