Macs Vs PCs

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    J. Thomas Gebauer
    Participant

I think getting a PC would be a good first step of recovery.  One can only assume that he has a Mac as a way to make people think he is a good designer.  Perhaps there are some deeper underlying issues that we as a group could help him with in this undying thread.

ALEX P
    Participant

currently on an iMac.. 

I find it quite strange when people own a pc (god help them) have an ipod, and then put the apple sticker on their pc.  Its like some sort of cannibalism.  Personally i have never seen this the other way around.  I dont have a gateway sticker on my mac proclaiming my desired admiration for the company.  I just find it extremely perplexing when people put the apple sticker over the logo for *instert pc company here, its like the ultimate kiss of death.  correct me if im wrong mr. Gebauer, but have you seen the opposite of this common phenomenon?  

Anthony Parziale
    Participant

You keep mentioning graphic designers using Mac….are you a graphic designer or an L.A.?  What’s good for one profession may not be for another.

I actually have used AutoCAD 2011 for Mac and thought it worked fine.  I didn’t have any problems really other then figuring out the interface a little…my office uses 2010 on PC so the layout is a little different to start with.  Once I rigged it up to match my computer at work it was golden.  It is their first time back in the Mac arena so there are going to be bugs, and some things either missing or hard to find…it’ll get better with later versions.  Just glad to see it’s back on both platforms…opens up the door much wider for sure.

You’re right, desktop computing is going the way of the dodo bird but tablets are not the replacement.  It’ll be a long long time before they can match the power, compatability and flexability of a true laptop.  The iPad is nice, it’s powerful (for what it is) and it’s flashy but it’s not going to knock a laptop out of the ring when it comes to production based operations.  It’s an amazing piece of technology and Apple’s definitely kicking butt with it, as well as the iPhone and iPods but it’s not a production computer.  You’re still going to need more powerful computers to use AutoCAD, 3D Studio, Photoshop (especially for larger more complex files), etc.  because let’s face it, those companies are only going to continue to make larger, more complex (sorry for the repetition), sophisticated programs that are more power and memory hungry. 

ALEX P
    Participant

see thread about papyrus.

J. Thomas Gebauer
    Participant

Anthony Parziale
    Participant

Good thread!

Miles Barnard
    Participant

I keep thinking the title of this discussion is “Man vs. PCs”

ALEX P
    Participant

well man always wins in that case as well. 

screw the shows man vs. wild with bear grills.. this would be way better. 

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I have gotten a couple of viruses, but I know how to deal with them.  Mac’s don’t have as many viruses because there aren’t near the same amount of individuals using them.  There isn’t anything special about their antivirus capabilities, if the roles were reversed and Mac had the market share that a PC has now people would use the same tag line that PC’s don’t have as many viruses.  That is well known.

In 1985? Mac had better hardware and software for graphics design.

In 2010? Mac and PC are the same type of hardware, but the one in the Mac case costs more. Mac OS is a Unix derivative (like Linux), so there’s less software available for it. There is higher-end hardware available for Windows computers, so if you need better hardware, a PC is the way to go.

Bottom line? When you buy a Mac you buy a name.

I don’t build the computers at my office, the IT guy does, so I don’t know what his billable rate is.  Even if I were to do it I could build one in 2 hours of shopping which would cost my firm $200, so add that to the cost of the PC that I could build and that still is less than 50% of a Mac, and it will blow it away muscle wise.

Current trends won’t impact how my office works for a long time and i think you may be over blowing the impact of tablets, of which there are so many to choose from that have nothing to do with Apple.  Sure they are neat and probably fun to use, but i can’t see ever working on a tablet pc at work, that is just ridiculous…  the screen is too small, not as accurate as a keyboard and mouse, and it is too fragile.  desktops aren’t going anywhere, and neither are laptops for that matter.  not only can you fit the current and most powerful components in them, but they are simply more ergonomic. 

mauiBob
    Participant

I seriously doubt the opinions of a “student” who calls himself a “landscape architect” and I believe it’s been debated in here already. What happened? You go from a Grad student to Landscape Architect overnight, huh?

All this discussion cracks me up. I’ll respond in due time. Some of us have real jobs to do whether its using a Mac or PC computer, the client really does NOT care and only interested in the finished product. When you get out of school, get a real job (if you can actually get one), pass the LARE and earn the title of Landscape Architect…I can value your opinions.

http://land8lounge.com/forum/topics/nonrlas-using-the-title

ALEX P
    Participant

i seriously doubt the opinions of Patrick the starfish.. Hows sponge bob? Hows your internship at Crabby Patty & Associates…. wait patrick is unemployed. 

so i wasted 5 years of my life in landscape architecture undergrad???? Sorry i cant afford to go to grad school, mr starfish.  not all of us grow up in the lap of luxury.  Im not a “student” or a “landscape architect” those were the presets that i had to chose from.. maybe bring that up with the creator of Land8!  Have fun being an “other” Your real job must be aggressively contemporary judging by all the time you have to comment on these post.  

mauiBob
    Participant

Alex, whoa there fellow Mac enthusiast. Those comments were in response to Jared the subway spokesman. Look at where it is “placed.” This is one of the greatest problems with communicating by emails and posts. Things get out of whacked!

ALEX P
    Participant

K sorry.

mauiBob
    Participant

Anthony,

“That secret attitude” has also put Apple number one in world for overall market share. As of today, the figures between Apple and Microsoft in this link are wider. I stated earlier, don’t confuse Apple computer “the company” with the Mac “the computer” as most critics tend to do. PC advocates gather the entire industry against one company. Select only one brand, HP, Sony or whatever and compare vs the Mac. It’s a lot like using the All-star players from an entire pro league and playing against one specific team. (Green bay Packers vs All stars from all other teams)

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/05/apple-passes-microsoft/

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9177401/Apple_tops_Microsoft…

Before I pass judgement on you, I need to read up on ALL of your comments and not from 1 or 2 posts. When I get the time to appropriately respond. Some of us have real jobs to do at the moment. Follow this link below and this should further paint my Apple background: 

http://land8lounge.com/group/uila

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Autocad is not the same on a MAC, whether or not a MAC is a better operating system. How is LAnd FX working out for you MAC users? Is anyone using other add-ons to ACAD-MAC successfully?  It seems that full Autocad has yet to come.

http://www.landfx.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1795

Leigha is not looking to know what computer is better. She is looking for advice on what makes the best sense for a person entering graduate school for a MLA at USC. Hopefully, she has moved on to contacting faculty, current students, former students, and firms that she is preparing to work for after graduation instead of those of us who sit babbling on the internet all day and all night.

MACs are great. Unfortunately, I have to use PCs at this point and I’m not buying both.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register