Are you working or not ?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 188 total)
  • Author

YES!!

Jay Smith
    Participant

To all those who are saying ‘yes’…….does this mean you never lost your job during the recession, or that you have found a new job in the profession during the recession? Just curious, as these are two entirely different scenarios.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Jay,

Yes, no change in hours, no change in pay, no change in benefits. I’m in a civil engineering office, though. Eight people including two office staff and two survey solo field crew people in the company. We did lay off an office staff person and a septic design/soil evaluator person a year ago. We had a ups and downs on the work load – looks like a bit of a valley at the moments, but some good proposals just went out. …. not out of the woods yet.

Tanya Olson
    Participant

Yes – laid off oct. 2008 – started own design business (not licensed yet) July 2009 – pretty steady 1/4 time work through January which isn’t too bad for just starting out, but I do have to look for projects within a 300-mile radius or so (the west is BIG!)

CML
    Participant

NO!!!!

Was laid off in February 2008. Found another job in June 2008. Laid off again (due to lack of work) November 2008. Went back to work with the same company under a temporary contract starting November 2009 and was laid off AGAIN in Februrary 2010.

Needless to say the last two years have been very very difficult. Feeling quite disallusioned and unsure of what to do next.

CML
    Participant

May I ask where you found employment? What city, kind of firm, etc? No specific companies names or anything like that. I’m just curious where there are opportunities

David Lorberbaum
    Participant

Jay,
    I have fortunately still been employed with the same company. I have had to take a reduction in pay, but most everyone I know that has kept their current jobs has had to do the same thing. I am just grateful to still be employed at this point.

Hope that helps.

CML
    Participant

Fair Enough

Blake Guidry
    Participant

Yes

NO!

No, 1.5 years.

When I was first laid off I was still a member of ULI and was in a Young Leaders group with all developers and a few lawyers. They all said It would turn around within the next few months and I said no way. That was a year ago. I don’t things will get better until next year.

Bill Delaney
    Participant

After getting all this feed back, are firms that are still working doing predominantly government work. I used to work on developer driven projects but it has flat-lined.

Mary Weber
    Participant

I agree. I wrote them yesterday to find out what the national unemployment rate for LA’s is. Haven’t heard back yet. I want to start doing some advocacy for our field (stimulus money, jobs bill, etc.). I feel like ASLA is not addressing this economic downturn and the devastating impact on our profession.

Mary Weber
    Participant

Yes, but not enough work.

Tanya Olson
    Participant

If you hear back from them will you post their reply as a new discussion please? Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 188 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register